Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
"Made in Nature"
05-28-2012, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 05-28-2012 12:00 PM by Counselor.)
"Made in Nature"
We just discovered these great products. Mrs C. and I love dried figs (not real fans of fresh ones though hmmmm) and bought a back of Calimyrna Figs. They are fantastic! Soft, Fresh, Organic, unsulfured, Sun Dried .... Perfect. I happened upon their website when we discovered they were no longer available at our Costco and just spent $50 on several packages of their other products. Check them out. Made in Nature - highly recommended!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-28-2012, 08:45 PM
RE: "Made in Nature"
(05-28-2012 11:59 AM)Counselor Wrote:  We just discovered these great products. Mrs C. and I love dried figs (not real fans of fresh ones though hmmmm) and bought a back of Calimyrna Figs. They are fantastic! Soft, Fresh, Organic, unsulfured, Sun Dried .... Perfect. I happened upon their website when we discovered they were no longer available at our Costco and just spent $50 on several packages of their other products. Check them out. Made in Nature - highly recommended!

Most of the dried figs I've seen are horrible, and they taste like sawdust too: nice to know that someone, somewhere is doing a better job.

Fresh figs, OTOH, are scrumptious with proscuitto, or baked as part of a tatin, or made into jam with honey. Shy

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
05-29-2012, 05:34 AM
(05-28-2012 08:45 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(05-28-2012 11:59 AM)Counselor Wrote:  We just discovered these great products. Mrs C. and I love dried figs (not real fans of fresh ones though hmmmm) and bought a back of Calimyrna Figs. They are fantastic! Soft, Fresh, Organic, unsulfured, Sun Dried .... Perfect. I happened upon their website when we discovered they were no longer available at our Costco and just spent $50 on several packages of their other products. Check them out. Made in Nature - highly recommended!

Most of the dried figs I've seen are horrible, and they taste like sawdust too: nice to know that someone, somewhere is doing a better job.

Fresh figs, OTOH, are scrumptious with proscuitto, or baked as part of a tatin, or made into jam with honey. Shy

When we ran out the other day I bought a package from another company, and they were sulfured, slimy and gross. I may try the Jam thing, but I just dont care for the fresh ones. Too much ... something, but anything is good with Proscuitto. When they are in season, I will have to give them a try again. Maybe it was just the ones my father grew that I dont like...

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
05-30-2012, 07:43 PM
Ohhhh, Figs, the good ones are somewhat hard to come by, I agree. As for Costco, these come and go that I have noticed, same for dates and other produces. Some of the food shops that carry the good products, have some phenomenal quality items such as figs, check them out. Proscuitto, I agree, but add a slice of fresh pan fried foie gras with this all. You don't have the fresh, no problem, get some ''torchon'' cooked style. There goes, getting hungry again!!!
05-30-2012, 08:32 PM
The best place I've found for getting good fresh figs here in Calgary has been Lina's, my then-neighbourhood Italian market: frankly, it's the best reason I can think of for moving back into the 'hood!

Plus the fresh pasta, and the proscuitto, and the good used bookstore kitty-corner.... (sigh)

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
06-05-2012, 02:23 PM
Just an update ... Took a week or so for our items to arrive from "Made In Nature" and so far that is my ONLY complaint. The dried, unsulfured and unsweetened pineapple is fantastic. The raisins are better than any I have ever had (and I hate raisins) and the figs are as originally described ... perfect. I will let Ms. K be the judge of the apples, though I am sure they will be fine too. Most items they have seem to be truly seasonal so the Calymirna figs will be around for a bit and then it will be time for Black Mission Figs.

In re-reading this I realize I sound a bit freakish so I will end here ...

06-05-2012, 08:40 PM
Counselor, please...Big Grin Passionate, NOT Freakish!!! As I am presuming here that among us, ''foodies'', we are just ''filled with passion''. For who eat / cook to survive, we, who live to eat, of course are freakish. And, I guess that we should consider ourselves as freaks.... But, I do not think that I would be too short of being dead on by saying that almost the entire planet's population is freakish. I would say that pretty much everybody has a passion of some sort. We as a group enjoy, or just plainly love our food and drink. So, I guess that such a statement makes me a Freak!!! Long live the Freaks likes US!!!Tongue
06-06-2012, 10:44 AM
Yes! Let your freak flag fly Big Grin

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...