Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ribs, Ribs, Ribs
05-29-2012, 06:08 AM
Ribs, Ribs, Ribs
For years now I have been chasing my Mob Dick, the perfect home smoked/grilled rib. Yesterday, I think I finally harpooned the beast. I have yet to try all the variations to see if it holds up, however, for me its the method of cooking. Personal tastes will determine the final flavors... Here is my method:

After procuring 2 racks of St. Louis cut ribs, peel the membrane and cover in your favorite dry rub. Over indirect heat (not more than 250 degrees), bone side down, smoke your ribs over Hickory for 1 hour. After an hour, wrap them in foil and cook for 2 hours at 250 degrees. After two hours, in a bowl add about 1/2 C of your favorite BBQ sauce and the liquid from your wrapped ribs. Over the next hour, again over indirect heat, spoon (because your liquid will be to thin to brush) the mixture over the ribs (again bone side down). I raised the temp a bit for this last hour to make sure the glaze got nice and thick.

The only thing I would change ... pour the liquid from the foil wrapping into a fat separator first. The BBQ sweet sauce did not over power the smoky ribs it really was, for us, the best way to cook them. We left 1/2 a slab to cook unwrapped over indirect heat for the whole time and far and away preferred the wrapped ones.

As for the technical components, I do use (because the grill is on my deck and I am adverse to fires on my deck and going down 2 stories to my charcoal grill is a pain), a Weber propane grill. The ribs covered two of the front to back burners, (the center one and the far right one) leaving only one to generate the heat, it really was low and slow indirect heat.

Enjoy!

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-30-2012, 11:43 AM
RE: Ribs, Ribs, Ribs
Oh, that sounds tasty!! What things would you vary? Wood, bbq sauce, or rub mixture? The temps sound right on. Let us know how the experiments progress. If another quality control person is needed you know where to find me. Big Grin

Fir Na Tine
06-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Thanks for the rib tips! My husband just got a grill/smoker and tried to cook some ribs. Lets just say they didn't come out good. Now I can give him some ideas!

Intolerant of Intolerance.
06-02-2012, 06:56 PM
I've been eating ribs for 2 months because my sister, Lildonner, was determined to win a rib cooking contest at her company picnic.

She won.

Another grill. Undecided
My backyard is now grill/garden central.

06-02-2012, 07:34 PM
Sounds like it's time for some big summer BBQ's! Cool

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
06-04-2012, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2012 08:42 AM by LiveToCook.)
Ribs, here is a fashion to make ribs that will fall off the bone everytime.... For the purist, I might be permanently marked as a lunatic (and a crazy one at that). I make them, at least start them in a pressure cooker or for some a ''Presto''. Speed here is phenomenal as some of my friends are the ''purist'' types that only make this and that in this only fashion... (The old and only way). They tell me that ''NO, you cannot make ribs like this with a pressure cooker''. And, I tell them; So you basically have to plan this a week in advance at the minimum, hey???. In the Pressure Cooker, it takes way less than 2 hours from the time you decide to make them (if you have fresh ribs in the fridge or at a butcher near you) to enjoying them.
Here goes; Procedure is simple and very safe by the way,
1) You take the racks and cut them in 2, (if you have a decent size ''Presto'' - 2 racks = 4 sections)
2) Rub the ribs with your favorite dry rub, add some lemon juice.
3) Put 2 bottles of good beer in (yes perfectly good beer) in place of water.
4) Steam for 30 minutes. Let cool partially; if you try to pull them out when too hot, they will fall a part. This steaming process will melt most of the fat out.
5) Brush your favorite sauce on and let cool completely.
6) Then, as I am not trying to re-invente the procedure here (or to say that my method IS the way to make ribs). You can finish by your own recipe. What I do is add more sauce before putting on the BBQ's grill or I will not sauce and put in the smoker.
06-04-2012, 01:11 PM
I do short ribs (both beef and bison) in my ancient Presto, sometimes using beer (oatmeal stout!) or red wine, depending. But I get so hungry smelling them when they're cooking that I just eat them, instead of putting them on the 'que for awhile.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
06-04-2012, 06:05 PM
Never had a bison rib. :O
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-04-2012, 07:55 PM
(06-04-2012 06:05 PM)osage59 Wrote:  Never had a bison rib. :O

Have friends who raise bison, but they aren't exactly a commonly available cut.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
06-07-2012, 07:32 PM
"....but they aren't exactly a commonly available cut...."

Heh heh, not in these parts but I hear that Bison is quite good. I may have to re-explore ribs this summer Smile
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user