Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Ribs, Ribs, Ribs
06-10-2012, 11:24 PM
RE: Ribs, Ribs, Ribs
Try preparing the ribs with the dry rub earlier and let them sit a while. Prepare them with the dry rub, then let them sit in the fridge like that for at least 4 hours. YMMV.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Experimenting to see what works for you is always the way to go. I prefer a mix of fruit and hard wood (usually apple or cherry w/ oak). Most people use a version of the 3/2/1 method with foiling their ribs. They remove the membrane, rub the ribs, and put them on the smoker at about 230 for 3 hours. They then put them in foil with honey, more rub, turbinado sugar and squeeze margarine. They seal em up and back on the smoker for 2 hours. They then take it out of the foil and finish them up for an hour on the smoker without the foil.

I cut that down to 1.5, 1.5, 1 for St. Louis. I find that the ribs are too soft after 3,2,1, but YMMV.

Eric
03-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Slow Cooker Ginger Beer Barbecue Baby Back Ribs
Ingredients
1 rack of baby back ribs cut in two pieces
2 cups of your favorite barbecue sauce ( I used Sweet Baby Rays)
1 bottle of ginger beer (or your favorite premium beer)
Montreal steak seasoning for ribs
1 orange cut into slices (leave the peel on)

Instructions
rinse the ribs under cold running water, pat dry with paper towels
season the tops of the ribs with Montreal seasoning according to taste and place into slow cooker. Be careful too much seasoning will make these very peppery.
add barbecue sauce, ginger beer and orange slices into the slow cooker
turn on slow cooker to high setting and cook for 4 hours and 30 minutes for very tender ribs, 5 hours for fall off the bone ribs.
turn off the slow cooker and remove the cooking liquids and place in saucepan over high heat to reduce the sauce until it thickens, about 10 minutes.
Spoon some of the sauce over the ribs and if you want them to caramelize place them under the broiler for a few minutes.
Serve up your deliciousness with your favorite sides!

"I know you believe that what you think I said is what I want, but are you sure that what you heard is really what I meant"
06-14-2015, 10:18 PM
I have only recently gotten a Weber Smokey Mountain smoker, so I'm still learning.

First batch of ribs, I didn't let them smoke long enough--it was cooler outside, and we were anxious to eat. So, they were a little tough.

Second batch, just about perfect. Nice bark, and tender enough that I had trouble getting them out of the rack. Grill surface temperature was right near the ideal 225, but it fell a few times to near 200.

Third batch, the grill ran hot and was more around 235-245 at the grill, and they came out a bit overcooked.

Nothing fancy to prep here. I just remove the membrane to improve tenderness and help the spices get to both sides. I do use a full pan of water in the smoker (it helps regulate the temperature). I use a few chunks of apple wood but otherwise, just standard Kingsford blue-bag coals since they are so predictable. Seasoning is just my own concoction I make from spices I have in the kitchen.

I've made two homemade sauces. I want to try a yellow mustard-based sauce but haven't had time to experiment yet. We usually just put the sauce on at the table, but next time I may try finishing the ribs with a bit of sauce while still out on the smoker.

- Rudy -