Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Cooking with avocados
05-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Cooking with avocados
Had a lovely sun-dried tomato and avocado omelet for lunch today: I know most people only think of avocados as something to put on a cold sandwich or turn into guacamole, but I really like including them as an ingredient in hot savoury dishes.

Anyone else do this and if so, what do you put them in?

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-31-2012, 07:01 PM
RE: Cooking with avocados
Grilled cheese! I also add them to a couple of pasta dishes with a mexican flair that we like.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
05-31-2012, 07:23 PM
Yes! Grilled cheese and just about ANY omelette. I also like to "stuff" them with tuna salad, or eat them on their own with lime juice, sea salt and pepper. They do have a fair amount of fat, but they boost your good cholesterol quite a bit!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
06-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Wow! I've never tried 'em with grilled cheese: I'll do that. Still have half in the fridge.

I also add them at the last minute to chicken in a cream and Dijon mustard sauce, served over vol au vents or rice.

----
06-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Knitterbookbinder, I recently had a faboulous ''recipe'' that I a friend of mine made while I was visiting... As everybody, like you mentioned and I am sure, always think that the famous avocado is for guacamole and not much else. I have had avocado prepared in different fashions and of course with my over-stuffed brains (just old I think, I must admitSmile) I can push them out. But for now... all present enjoyed the following;
Shrimps with Avocado (or Avocado with Shrimps)
2 ripe Avocados
1/2 cup of small shrimps (Nordic)
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic
Pepper to taste
Dried Basil
1) Peel and cut the avocados in pieces.
2) Add the lemon juice on the avocados and reserve.
3) Mix, mayo, mustard, garlic and pepper.
4) Add the avocado and shrimps
5) Mix it all together delicately.
When I had this, they were served into an avocado half with the seed removed (of course).
06-03-2012, 02:49 PM
(06-03-2012 01:04 PM)LiveToCook Wrote:  Knitterbookbinder, I recently had a faboulous ''recipe'' that I a friend of mine made while I was visiting... As everybody, like you mentioned and I am sure, always think that the famous avocado is for guacamole and not much else. I have had avocado prepared in different fashions and of course with my over-stuffed brains (just old I think, I must admitSmile) I can push them out. But for now... all present enjoyed the following;
Shrimps with Avocado (or Avocado with Shrimps)
2 ripe Avocados
1/2 cup of small shrimps (Nordic)
1/2 cup mayonaise
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
1 clove garlic
Pepper to taste
Dried Basil
1) Peel and cut the avocados in pieces.
2) Add the lemon juice on the avocados and reserve.
3) Mix, mayo, mustard, garlic and pepper.
4) Add the avocado and shrimps
5) Mix it all together delicately.
When I had this, they were served into an avocado half with the seed removed (of course).

I'll give this one a try too!

----
06-03-2012, 03:21 PM
Last night we went to a great new Vietnamese place and had Avocado Ice Cream. in a word ... FABULOUS!

Grilled Cheese needs to be made with a good VT Sharp Cheddar

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
06-03-2012, 04:33 PM
(06-03-2012 03:21 PM)Counselor Wrote:  Last night we went to a great new Vietnamese place and had Avocado Ice Cream. in a word ... FABULOUS!

Grilled Cheese needs to be made with a good VT Sharp Cheddar

The ice cream sounds interesting -- must look for that.

I make my g.c. with whatever I've got on hand: sometimes it's XX old or applewood smoked Cheddar, sometimes Manchego or extra-aged medium Gouda. All local, and all delish.

----
06-03-2012, 10:02 PM
Mmmmm avocados!! I put them on sandwiches but I mush them up first so they don't squirt across the room when I take a bite!

I will ditto the ice cream. The smoothness is just sooo delicious! I made some once and used lime and orange in it to sweeten it up. Yum!!

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
06-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Avocado ice cream???? Sounds interesting!
Another shrimp/avocado recipe is this:

Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (1 serving-add more stuff to make more)
Start with small/med cooked, peeled shrimp-about 1/4 cup per serving. Add a tablespoon of fresh lime juice, a good tablespoon of chopped cilantro, a half Roma tomato, diced, a tablespoon or two of chopped green onion, tomato juice to taste, half an avocado, chopped, and salt and pepper. If it's too thick, you can water it down a bit. If you like it hot, add hot sauce or diced chilis. Mix 'er up and nosh!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...