Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Bread Pudding for Cancer Patients
06-05-2012, 05:58 PM
Bread Pudding for Cancer Patients
Over on Daily Kos, I work with a group of folks whose job is to read every diary that is published and promote the ones that are well-written, interesting and mostly ignored. They call us the Rescue Rangers. A couple of them are fighting cancer. One of them shared this recipe. I wanted to share it because of our own dear friends who are in similar straits. Heart

1 package (4-serving size) Jello Vanilla Pudding Mix (not instant--you want the kind that you cook)
1/4 cup sugar
3 cups milk
1/4 cup raisins
2 Tbsp. grated lemon rind (optional)
1 Tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. vanilla
6 slices (or more) cubed bread, dry.
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg

Combine pudding mix and 2 Tbsp. sugar. Add 2 cups milk, blend well. Add raisins and lemon rind. Cook and stir over medium heat to a full boil.
Remove from heat, stir in butter and vanilla. Set aside.

In a medium bowl, pour remaining 1 cup milk over bread cubes to moisten. Stir into the pudding mix.
Pour the whole mess into a 1 quart baking dish. Combine remaining sugar and spices. Sprinkle over pudding.
Run under the broiler until the sugar/spice mix is browned and bubbly (around 4 minutes)

Serve warm. Extra good with heavy cream, and damn the calories!

That is the recipe as I received it. Here are my personal changes:

*I don't add the lemon rind usually, although it provides a nice flavor twist (good for when you're not queasy)
*I also use a half-cup or more raisins.
*The choice of bread is important. My best results have come from dried French bread--it holds up to the pudding better and provides a satisfying substantiality to an otherwise soft food. I usually add more than the measly 6 slices. My great-aunt used to use stale cake in hers, but we never have cake long enough to let it go stale.

Usually I eschew mixes--cake, pudding, or otherwise. This is the one recipe I'll use a mix for. It always turns out well.

This particular bread pudding probably saved me from IV nutrition, and after the bone marrow transplant, it was the way I worked my hyper-nauseated system back to accepting food. So there's a therapeutic component to my advocating this recipe.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2012, 08:47 PM
RE: Bread Pudding for Cancer Patients
That sounds pretty good. I make bread pudding myself now and then. (just finished a serving of our latest batch.) my issue is that we rarely have enough custard to really soak the bread enough.
However, I do make a caramel rum sauce to go over it....
cup of brown sugar,
stick of butter,
quarter cup dark rum
dash of salt
combine the bunch to a simmer (yeah, melt the butter first then add the rest)
yum....
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
RE: Bread Pudding for Cancer Patients
I tried to make Bread Pudding for Pen.... It must have been a texture thing because she thought it would be great but could not handle it. Tried Rice pudding .... same result. I even tried using candied Ginger in it, rather than the lemon, still not happening. The chickens ate well those days as I HATE these two deserts (its the custard). Finally started making Sorbet, lemon and lime, and that not only appealed but settled her stomach and refreshed.

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor