Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Championship ribs (kinda)
06-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Tongue Championship ribs (kinda)
I recently took part in a bbq contest through work, a small affair however it is a start. (Between the 7 teams we cooked for 270 people!) My winning entry were ribs...not just any ribs, but ribs that taste more like bacon than well...ribs. Didn't use much of a sauce, more of a glaze. Now I'm being asked to go to a regional contest later this year. My question for serious ribsters out there, do you think such a rib could win or place in this type of a contest?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-12-2012, 07:47 AM
RE: Championship ribs (kinda)
Nettie had said that you won the contest, Congrats!! You can always go to the regional contest and learn what is the "norm" for that level and above. Smile

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
06-12-2012, 09:39 AM (This post was last modified: 06-12-2012 06:13 PM by LiveToCook.)
Why not... From what I was reading, YOU did your research!
It might be a small competition that you won, but who knows, you could be ready for the major leagues. Sometimes it takes a new way of doing things to get judges attention. So go for it!!! ''Go and show them how it's done''.
06-12-2012, 02:01 PM
Yes! Take your winning recipe and win them over with something new! Best of luck! mmmmmmm......bacon ribs.......

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-09-2013, 01:32 AM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2013 02:14 AM by motoeric.)
I know that this isn't timely at all, so I apologize for that, but the answer is no if you are discussing a sanctioned contest.

Competitors usually don't brine or marinate their ribs and are pretty careful with salt, which gives them that bacony taste.

Most competitions need volunteers. I'd suggest finding one near you and offer to help at the judges tent. The volunteers get the food that the judges don't take (each judge only takes one sample/piece and there is usually more than enough in the box). That will help you zone in on the taste profiles that other competitors are using.

Good luck!

Eric