Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Strawberry Bread
06-20-2012, 09:20 PM (This post was last modified: 06-21-2012 02:22 PM by HardwareGrl.)
Strawberry Bread
I had a extra bowl of strawberries that I didn't know what to do with (yeah, such a terrible problem!) so I went searching for a different something to do with them.

What I found was this....

Strawberry Bread

- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced

Combine flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Beat eggs. Add eggs, shortening , and strawberries.

Stir until all ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into 2 well-greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 70 minutes. Test and keep baking until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes.

After a taste test, I give it two thumbs up! A nice snack bread.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2012, 09:26 PM
RE: Strawberry Bread
(06-20-2012 09:20 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  I had a extra bowl of strawberries that I didn't know what to do with (yeah, such a terrible problem!) so I went searching for a different something to do with them.

What I found was this....

Strawberry Bread

- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups strawberries, sliced

Combine flour, salt, sugar, baking soda and cinnamon. Beat eggs. Add eggs, shortening , strawberries and bread dough enhancer.

Stir until all ingredients are moistened. Spoon batter into 2 well-greased 9x5x3-inch loaf pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 60 to 70 minutes. Test and keep baking until toothpick comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes.

After a taste test, I give it two thumbs up! A nice snack bread.
It sounds delicious!

06-21-2012, 12:11 AM
Nom!! I'll have to try this one. I hope frozen strawberries will work - not the soggy kind, fresh-frozen. I bet this would be great with a fresh berry salad and some whipped cream [Image: smiley-eatdrink020.gif]

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
06-21-2012, 06:30 AM
Yeah, no problem with leftover strawberries in my home either, but this sounds great to take to a summer potluck.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
06-24-2012, 04:49 AM
(06-21-2012 12:11 AM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Nom!! I'll have to try this one. I hope frozen strawberries will work - not the soggy kind, fresh-frozen. I bet this would be great with a fresh berry salad and some whipped cream [Image: smiley-eatdrink020.gif]

Don't know if it's the same recipe (not even sure where ours is, it's been so long.!.) but my MIL has a recipe for strawberry bread, and we always used frozen.
Really good, moist dessert/snack bread. Never lasted very long, coz we'd keep nibbling away on it! LOL...

For Your Dreams to Become Your Reality, Do Not Think "If", Believe in "When".
***I Am A Work In Progress...*** Heart
07-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Seems like I'm on a quest for Strawberry Bread recipes!
Here's one that's much better than the first, thanks to the addition of cream cheese!

Strawberries & Cream Bread

Ingredients:

1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup rolled oats
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoon vanilla extract, divided
6 ounces strawberries, chopped
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a standard loaf pan.

In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, oats, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.

In a large bowl, beat butter and brown sugar until fluffy. Add eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix well. Gradually mix in flour mixture. Stir in strawberries.

In a separate bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, and 1 teaspoon vanilla until smooth. Add to bread mixture, stirring only 4-5 turns until streaked with cream cheese mixture.

Transfer batter to prepared loaf pan. Bake 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely in pan on wire rack before slicing.

Makes 1 9”x 5” loaf

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur