Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Grilling for apartment dwellers
07-02-2012, 04:42 PM
Sad Grilling for apartment dwellers
As one who lives on the 11th floor of a 15 storey building, I'm prohibited from bbq-ing on the balcony, and there aren't any barbecue pits on the property to use.

Makes me sad. Vewy, vewy sad. Sad

SO... I'm now in the market for an electric grill, something along the lines of the George Foreman type; whether it's that brand or not doesn't matter.

Who better to ask than my B'nG partners in the finest culinary experience?

Anyone own one? Have one to two to recommend or avoid?

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-02-2012, 07:45 PM
RE: Grilling for apartment dwellers
Yes, OHR. Very sad. I read your post to hubby, and he promptly looked up electric grills on the computer. We have no personal experience, but the reviews go like this:

1). Dimplex Powerchef Automatic Tabletop Convertible Outdoor Computer Controlled Electric Grill (Yes, that's the name!). It got the best reviews, but it's $500.00.
2). Outdoor Greatroom Legacy Electric Grill. $450.00.
3). Weber Q140. $250.00

All 3 got very good reviews. All 3 get up to 600 degrees F. Plenty hot enough to sear a steak. The George Foreman did NOT get hot enough. That and it was built cheaply, were the big criticisms there.

Hope this steers you in the right direction!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
07-03-2012, 01:08 AM (This post was last modified: 07-03-2012 01:12 AM by Rey.)
We were given a George Foreman grill years ago. Never used it and it sat in the basement in the box for years and years. Just this last Christmas took it to an office party as a white elephant gift. The recipient wasn't very happy. Nobody wants those things, they are in every thrift store and garage sale for a buck or two. How does this help, well, I guess it doesn't. Sad

My advice for grilling as an apartment dweller is, hurry up and get a house while the market is still bottomed out and they are still cheap! Like Nettie did. Or...you can bend a coat hanger over an electric stove coil, and put some bread on it, and make some dry white toast. Hard to see, but its all there:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQMEmY1EdsU

Well-weathered leather, hot metal and oil, the scented country air..
07-03-2012, 09:23 AM
"Or...you can bend a coat hanger over an electric stove coil, and put some bread on it, and make some dry white toast."

"Hey you sleaze!...that's MY bed!"

I never get tired of that movie!...classic!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
07-03-2012, 10:20 AM
(07-03-2012 01:08 AM)Rey Wrote:  We were given a George Foreman grill years ago. Never used it and it sat in the basement in the box for years and years. Just this last Christmas took it to an office party as a white elephant gift. The recipient wasn't very happy. Nobody wants those things, they are in every thrift store and garage sale for a buck or two. How does this help, well, I guess it doesn't. Sad

I hadn't thought of thrift stores. There's a Sally Ann only a couple of blocks away. I'll try there.

This is a little off the topic, but anyway...
(07-03-2012 01:08 AM)Rey Wrote:  My advice for grilling as an apartment dweller is, hurry up and get a house while the market is still bottomed out and they are still cheap...

For better or worse, the housing market didn't get slammed nearly as bad in Canada as it did the US. Our banking and mortgage sectors north of the border are pretty tightly regulated, which kept our housing market basically treading water while other places in the world the markets were dropping off into the abyss.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
07-06-2012, 12:02 AM
And this is the problem with living in Ontario (and Virginia, and all those other places that are paranoid about BBQs on decks).

Fifty-four-plus months of no 'que made this girl seriously unhappy: was so glad to come back to Alberta where we don't care where you fire up.

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
07-06-2012, 03:35 PM
Oh, I get the reason why. Nothing at all to do with fire prevention, it's simply about the person upstairs having smoke in their place. Who'd want that?

07-06-2012, 06:26 PM
(07-06-2012 03:35 PM)old honda rider Wrote:  Oh, I get the reason why. Nothing at all to do with fire prevention, it's simply about the person upstairs having smoke in their place. Who'd want that?

Well, if it was oak-smoked salmon, and there were leftovers to share -- sayin'? Shy

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....