Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Wheat Free Recipes
07-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Wheat Free Recipes
It has been recommended to my husby, that he eliminate wheat from his diet to see if it helps with some health issues that he's been having for the past several years. He's already eliminated milk and he doesn't eat meat either.

So, I'm looking for wheat free/dairy free recipes. Especially any that include protein as most of the meatless substitutes on the market do have wheat in the ingredients.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-10-2012, 12:22 PM
RE: Wheat Free Recipes
My wife has Celiac so I do the GF dance all the time. The trick is spotting all the places that wheat shows up. Unfortunately, it is added to many convenience foods and is added by restaurants to dishes where you'd not expect it. Finding foods without gluten is not necessarily hard but finding tasty GF foods is! Lots of the pastas are pretty bad. There is an Italian brand (sorry, I forget the name) that IS very tasty. Same with breads...there are lots of mediocre ones out there. You'll have to do your own taste tests. I have been able to make GF versions of almost every old fav. Using some of the GF baking flours is a great start. Then, you can make your own from various rice and/or garbanzo flours and xantham gum. There are tons of resources on the Web for GF folks. If you have a specific recipe request shout and I'll do my best.

As far as the protein without meat thing, beans are a wonderful source of protein and are very healthy in general; they help remove cholesterol too.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user
07-17-2012, 12:46 PM
Thank you for the info Nung! I did find some GF flour from Bob's Red Mill that I plan to try just as soon as my husby decides to try the wheat free diet. He isn't quite ready to start yet. Label reading has become a must since he started eliminating dairy. It's truly amazing as to just how many food items have milk or wheat in them.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-17-2012, 01:06 PM
(07-17-2012 12:46 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Thank you for the info Nung! I did find some GF flour from Bob's Red Mill that I plan to try just as soon as my husby decides to try the wheat free diet. He isn't quite ready to start yet. Label reading has become a must since he started eliminating dairy. It's truly amazing as to just how many food items have milk or wheat in them.

Yes, you have to be very careful! Good luck!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
Find all posts by this user