Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night (/showthread.php?tid=400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 06-03-2011 06:21 PM

Just bought me a bottle of 12 yr oldMacallan today, gonna be takin it out to the Quad Cities next weekend and share it with some old friends. What a nice guy I can be if I try.TongueBig Grin

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - debskis - 06-04-2011 04:52 AM

(09-27-2010 07:10 PM)boomer Wrote:  I think I recognize that bottle. I think.

Isn't that Culloden? Had to look it up to remember, maybe not though. I thought that was a blended whisky? The picture tells me its got to be blended since the top does not appear to be cork wood type used on some of the finer single malts. But I could be wrong.....whats old honda doing with two dead sailors anyways?

There are only a few with the bottle shape Mufasa describes. I never thought I could "acquire" the taste, but this bottle of Balvenie might have me hooked! And here I was trying to stay dry......

Balvenie is my husband's favorite too...maybe it's a man-thing? I just cannot acquire a taste for any of it!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 06-04-2011 11:08 AM

Scotch, especially the more potent Islays and Highlands malts, are not something you just like I think. I sampled some at 19 and hated it, but now at 40 ISH (or something to that effect) I find the single malts have a pleasantness about them, and I dont have to sit and gulp down a BOTTLE of the stuff to enjoy it either. One or two small drams and I am "comfortable".

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 06-11-2011 06:33 AM

Ok, Boomer's "chastised" me for my dislike of Laphroaig, so I thought I would reacquaint myself with this ultimate expression of peaty/smoky. I took a friend, a wine snob just getting into the world of whisk(e)y, to a local eatery that stocks a few dozen good single malts. Guess what was on the list?

Laphroaig 10 YO - I have affectionately described this as eating a wet, wool mitten. As I've become old, fat, and balding my tastebuds have changed. It's not as overpoweringly peaty as I not so fondly remembered from my youth. However, my wingman and I both agreed that Laphroaig takes work to enjoy. I don't exactly know how to explain it, but you have to pay attention as there's so much going on. It lingers for a LONG time.

Talisker - It's been a while since I had this and I quickly remembered why I liked it so much. It's extremely easy to drink, not leaning too far in any one direction. It's thick and chewy without being overpowering. The finish is light and airy.

Balvenie Portwood 21 - Ridiculously good. Scotch shouldn't be this good. At $130 USD per bottle, it's a decadence you don't enjoy too often, but it's nice to treat oneself every now and again. It's easily on par with The Macallan 18 YO.

Hennessey VSOP - Yeah I know, this is Cognac, but at my buddy's behest, we sampled a dram. Fine stuff and cheap as all get out - $45 USD. I am a convert.

Out of the 4 samples, I will actively seek a bottle of Talisker and Hennessey VSOP. I haven't given up on Laphroaig, however. I may not go there often, but who knows - everything gets better with age. Maybe my tastebuds will as well.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 06-11-2011 10:55 AM

I "chastised" someone???

Actually - the hardest wool mitten stuff to me is still Ardbeg - the old dawg standard. You almost need a chainsaw for that stuff, but Laphroaig is not nearly as "potent" a malt, but I do know folks who try it and walk away gagging on a moldy sock! Like I said before - you either like it or you dont.

Nice to see those other reviews as well! I am after a bottle of the Balvenie Portwood 21, but there is a new Laphroaig that should be in a few select states here shortly and I am hoping I can lay me hands on a bottle!!!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 06-11-2011 11:13 PM

Well, just got home today from my get together with some old rennaisance faire friends and cohorts(I used to be a renn faire actor) and I left not quite half a bottle of the Macallan 12 yr old with my best of the friends. Seems as he is not too well off, and he loves to enjoy the flavor of a fine single malt, he was the one to have it. We spent a nite of good food and friends with a fine 12yr old.

Boomer I must say that after this second sampling of the Macallan that it has grown on me. Sipping and relishing in the flavor is the key...not trying to drink it as I would a good vodka. I do give it 2 thumbs up. It has a rich sweet taste with an afterthought of the sherry that was interesting without being overpowering.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 06-12-2011 05:24 AM

(06-11-2011 11:13 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  and I left not quite half a bottle of the Macallan 12 yr old with my best of the friends. Seems as he is not too well off, and he loves to enjoy the flavor of a fine single malt, he was the one to have it. We spent a nite of good food and friends with a fine 12yr old.

What a great gift, smoker guy!! I'm sure your friend will fondly remember that night with each dram he pulls from that bottle.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 06-12-2011 09:46 AM

EXCELLENT SM! Like I have always maintained - sometimes you need a couple of tastings before you start to "see" the flavors in a malt. Its not something that you may notice right off, and if you are used to drinking something else it does take a bit longer. It took me one tasting for The Balvenie, but a couple on LaPhroaig.

You must be one nice friend to leave half a BOTTLE!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 06-12-2011 05:50 PM

It was the least I could do for him after all he`s done in the past. The sharing of the Scotch and the great stories is the best.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 06-14-2011 09:54 PM

Just picked up a bottle of Glenmorangie 12 yr old "The Lasanta" today. It is finished in sherry casks as well as the Macallan and the biggest difference I have noted between the two 12yr olds is the Glenmorangie is a bit sweeter and at the same time a little less strong than the Macallan 12 yr old.
Other than that, they are both fine 12 yr olds. I wanted to try this single malt for two reasons: 1. It was new and after having acquired a liking for the sherry flavoring I wanted to try Glenmorangie's flavor and 2. It was sold with a $4.00 off coupon.Big Grin