Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night (/showthread.php?tid=400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - knitterbookbinder - 04-08-2012 02:53 PM

(04-08-2012 03:31 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
Quote:Yes, it's quite the stuff: shame you two don't share the same taste in music though. (He's a frethead folkie.)

Oh no!! Does he have a large unkempt beard, and wear corduroy trousers (which are erm light brown) and drink flat cider??Sad

Get him over to the Dark Side and Heavy Metal.....I think he will thank you in the long runWink

LOL Not likely -- he's an acoustic kind of dude. But he is large, and his wife does drink cider.... (Strongbow's gone downhill, Magner's is pricy here, and my regular is an extra-dry apple cider from British Columbia. I like perry too!)

That being said, the folk club he is one of the founders of, charges patrons the "regular" bar drink price but pours Glenfiddich on request, instead of some cheap blend. Rather civilized that.

I promise I won't taunt you with a picture of the Talisker 30 sitting next to my bottle of Bunnahabhain 1997, so long as you don't post a pic your Easter prezzie. Big Grin

(Not that I have anything against good dark chocolate though.)

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Nung - 04-09-2012 09:40 AM

I had my first measure of The Macallan Cask Strength. Most amazing! Over the top in strength of course but very well balanced flavors. I am a fan! Next time I will add just a bit of spring water to see how it changes.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-09-2012 08:10 PM

I have tried the Cask Strength a few times, and have grown to be VERY fond of that vintage. Yes it is a bit strong in the tooth, but to me, the flavors are much stronger, richer, and deeper. Not a particular fan of adding water, but some folks prefer that to entice the flavors more, but overall that Cask Strnegth is exsquisite!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - knitterbookbinder - 04-09-2012 11:28 PM

(04-09-2012 08:10 PM)boomer Wrote:  I have tried the Cask Strength a few times, and have grown to be VERY fond of that vintage. Yes it is a bit strong in the tooth, but to me, the flavors are much stronger, richer, and deeper. Not a particular fan of adding water, but some folks prefer that to entice the flavors more, but overall that Cask Strnegth is exsquisite!

The real reason you want to add the water is to dilute the alcohol. It definitely does not alter the nose or taste.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-10-2012 06:09 AM

In looking into some of my whisky literature, there are varying explanations for adding water. Coworker of mine prefers to add three drops of diluted water to extract flavors, while the neighbor prefers to dilute alcohol, and I am of the "don't put a darn thing in that glass OTHER than the whisky" mentality. Water to me does dilute the alcohol but allows the palate to explore the flavors and mixtures a bit more freely. Whatever the reason, I prefer to leave it as is. I've tried it both ways, using a sniffing glass, and to my nose, there is a difference.

But what do I know. I'm not a "professional".

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - knitterbookbinder - 04-10-2012 08:48 AM

(04-10-2012 06:09 AM)boomer Wrote:  In looking into some of my whisky literature, there are varying explanations for adding water. Coworker of mine prefers to add three drops of diluted water to extract flavors, while the neighbor prefers to dilute alcohol, and I am of the "don't put a darn thing in that glass OTHER than the whisky" mentality. Water to me does dilute the alcohol but allows the palate to explore the flavors and mixtures a bit more freely. Whatever the reason, I prefer to leave it as is. I've tried it both ways, using a sniffing glass, and to my nose, there is a difference.

But what do I know. I'm not a "professional".

For me, it depends on what I'm drinking.

Cheap blends I'll add both water and ice to, "regular" single-malt I'll drink neat, and the really good stuff will get a small amount of chilled (not room temperature, and not cold) water.

My born-in-Dufftown mother-in-law, whose brother (and now nephew) grow grain under contract for Glenfiddich, always has a bit of water with her dram. The Balvenie Doublewood she brought down to Nassau last Christmas actually did taste better with it: I think it helps release the nose a bit more.

I'm not a "professional" either, but I play one on television. Big Grin

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Nung - 04-10-2012 09:18 AM

Different whiskies, different approaches.
Different tastes for different people.

But remember: Anything that isn't cask strength has already had water added by the distiller.

What is Bubba's favorite expression of The Macallan? He often mentions the brand and sometimes mentions a particular expression (especially when he is gifted) but has he stated his fav version?

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - JrGtr42 - 04-14-2012 10:52 AM

OK, so here's a question for you whisky types (not just Macallan, but this is the active thread)
Have any of you used the whisky stones? Basically they're chunks of rock, put them in the freezer, then your glass to cool the beverage of choice down without watering it as the ice would melt.
Any opinions, one way or the other?

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - NWoBHM - 04-14-2012 01:18 PM

No never heard of them? I have heard of Stones Ginger Wine, which is sometimes put in whisky.....I am afraid the only thing I like in my whisky, is more whisky....

I used to enjoy a cigar with it, but that was years ago.....

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - knitterbookbinder - 04-14-2012 03:29 PM

(04-14-2012 10:52 AM)JrGtr42 Wrote:  OK, so here's a question for you whisky types (not just Macallan, but this is the active thread)
Have any of you used the whisky stones? Basically they're chunks of rock, put them in the freezer, then your glass to cool the beverage of choice down without watering it as the ice would melt.
Any opinions, one way or the other?

I've seen them (not recently), but never tried them, but it seems like a reasonable concept. Personally, chilling really good Scotch isn't something I'd do, but I can see where they'd be really useful for keeping one's beer (or Campari and soda, or cider, or limoncello) cold on a hot summer day without dilution.

Hmmmm. Actually, it would be really great for doing that: maybe I'll keep my eye out for some. Smile