Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night (/showthread.php?tid=400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Sunset - 10-14-2013 09:53 AM

You've mentioned absinthe on a few occasions...do you get the real deal(wormwood) over there? All I ever see over here is basically 120proof anise liquor without the wormwood...

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 10-14-2013 10:17 AM

(10-14-2013 09:53 AM)Sunset Wrote:  You've mentioned absinthe on a few occasions...do you get the real deal(wormwood) over there? All I ever see over here is basically 120proof anise liquor without the wormwood...

Lucid is the real stuff, Absente is not. Pernod brand is supposed to be coming back out with their original 1800's recipe. Iowa used to carry all three...but I haven't seen Pernod for a year or two. For me, Lucid is my brand of choice...it has no artificial colors or flavors as the other two brands. It also has a large amount of Grand Wormwood in it as well. I louche 1&1/2 oz of absinthe with 3 oz of spring water. Some people use a sugar cube, but I found it to be sweet enough without the sugar.

Of course, this was an unnecessarily long answer to your question, when all I had to say was yes. Smile

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Sunset - 10-14-2013 02:28 PM

Yeah, the lack of wormwood here might be a Cali thing. 'Cuz ya know we needz them there lejeeslaytor type smart fellers to save us from ourselves.Rolleyes
Or, perhaps it actually is available here and I just haven't found it yet. Thx for the info...

Btw...just got off the phone with the fine folks at Hy-Vee. I'm tellin' ya, I do believe you IA folks just might be the classiest and most pleasant people I've ever had the pleasure of doing business with.Cool

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - 2Beers - 10-14-2013 04:46 PM

Sorry Smoker, this summer I and my oldest daughter tried some Absinthe at the Renn Faire. We knew there would be a licorice/anise flavor, but thought it would be subtle with a more floral or woody taste as the main flavor note. Both of us decided it's not our cup of tea, so to speak.
Oldest does have her whiskey tooth though. She enjoys a wee dram with Fireman now and then.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 10-14-2013 04:57 PM

(10-14-2013 04:46 PM)2Beers Wrote:  Sorry Smoker, this summer I and my oldest daughter tried some Absinthe at the Renn Faire. We knew there would be a licorice/anise flavor, but thought it would be subtle with a more floral or woody taste as the main flavor note. Both of us decided it's not our cup of tea, so to speak.
Oldest does have her whiskey tooth though. She enjoys a wee dram with Fireman now and then.

No need to apologize, it is a drink one either likes or doesn't. I do find it interesting that it was being served at a Renn-Faire as absinthe was invented somewhere between 1797- 1800. Smile

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 10-19-2013 03:15 PM

I had my first taste of the MacAllan 18yr. It tasted much better than the first time I had it. The GlenDronach 15 tastes pretty much the same.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - JrGtr42 - 10-20-2013 09:05 PM

I just inherited a half-bottle of Talisker 10yr. A cousin of mine bought a house, and this was left behind, along with a few other random bottles. At bottle strength it's a bit smoky for my tastes, but with an ice cube it is pretty tasty.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Nung - 10-21-2013 10:04 AM

A gift from the Isle of Skye. Nice.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Nung - 11-12-2013 02:00 PM

I returned to my cask strength bottle of The Macallan over the weekend and it was just as good as I remembered. Sipping it, listening to music, and looking for meteors made for a lovely night.

Yum Cha!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - VincentUlyssis - 11-13-2013 06:04 PM

(10-14-2013 10:17 AM)smoker guy Wrote:  
(10-14-2013 09:53 AM)Sunset Wrote:  You've mentioned absinthe on a few occasions...do you get the real deal(wormwood) over there? All I ever see over here is basically 120proof anise liquor without the wormwood...

Lucid is the real stuff, Absente is not. Pernod brand is supposed to be coming back out with their original 1800's recipe. Iowa used to carry all three...but I haven't seen Pernod for a year or two. For me, Lucid is my brand of choice...it has no artificial colors or flavors as the other two brands. It also has a large amount of Grand Wormwood in it as well. I louche 1&1/2 oz of absinthe with 3 oz of spring water. Some people use a sugar cube, but I found it to be sweet enough without the sugar.

Of course, this was an unnecessarily long answer to your question, when all I had to say was yes. Smile

I drank Lucid-too much. I wasn't very Lucid. In fact I believe I got myself sick but I can't really remember much.