Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night (/showthread.php?tid=400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-19-2011 02:38 PM

(04-17-2011 04:19 PM)boomer Wrote:  Uh oh - a Laphroig dissenter?
Let's say... yet to be convinced. I sampled Laphroaig at the beginning of my foray into Scotch, so my novice pallet was probably beaten to smithereens with what I might consider now, wonderful peatiness. Time for another tasting, methinks.

Oh, the problems I have...

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - MAL_ONE - 04-19-2011 03:11 PM

I must say, I do remember quite well my first taste of this intriguing
elixer. At the time, I was newly wed. My beautiful significant other and I
happened to be on our honeymoon in the gorgeous setting of Emerald
Lake, just outside Field,British Columbia. Once settled in, we acquainted
ourselves with the bar (not a bad thing when your on vacation). And I
distinctly remember the waiter asking how I would like that served. I
thought for just a moment and then came my reply, " I'll have it neat if
you will." After hearing so much about this treasured substance, I did not
want to have anything interfere with my first impression. Needless to
say, as I am sure many can atest to, it was marvelous. No need to gulp
this stuff down, just slow, smooth sippin' works fine.
Ever since that first pour, I grab a bottle of "the twelve" when I'm ready
for a treat. Other than that,,,, well,,, you'll have to skip on over to the
beer forum to get the rest of the story.

Peace, Love, and Good Happiness Stuff

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - RythymDog - 04-20-2011 06:40 AM

Has anyone had Templeton Rye?? One of my faves but hard to get (and I even live in IA!) Great story behind that "dark water" too.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-20-2011 08:57 PM

(04-20-2011 06:40 AM)RythymDog Wrote:  Has anyone had Templeton Rye?? One of my faves but hard to get (and I even live in IA!) Great story behind that "dark water" too.

I will have to put that on the list. One of my favorite bourbons, Basil Hayden, is heavy on the Rye side, for a bourbon that is, so that makes me think I could enjoy a pure Rye.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Scythe Matters - 04-20-2011 11:59 PM

Have to chime in here... I'm not a huge Whisky fan but since my Hubby is, I have tasted a few. His favorite is an Irish one; Tullamore Dew. Have tasted Laphroig. When I began reading Bubba's stuff and saw frequent mention of The Macallan, I decided to buy Hubby a bottle so we could try it. I could only afford 10 year. And it was good. A friend gave us a bottle of 15 year and it's even better. It really is the only Whiskey I like.

When we were in Edinburgh, we went through the Whiskey Museum, which included a tasting. I preferred the Highland flavor so it would figure that I enjoy the Macallan. Smile

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-21-2011 06:10 AM

(04-20-2011 11:59 PM)Scythe Matters Wrote:  Have to chime in here... I'm not a huge Whisky fan but since my Hubby is, I have tasted a few. His favorite is an Irish one; Tullamore Dew. Have tasted Laphroig. When I began reading Bubba's stuff and saw frequent mention of The Macallan, I decided to buy Hubby a bottle so we could try it. I could only afford 10 year. And it was good. A friend gave us a bottle of 15 year and it's even better. It really is the only Whiskey I like.

When we were in Edinburgh, we went through the Whiskey Museum, which included a tasting. I preferred the Highland flavor so it would figure that I enjoy the Macallan. Smile

Its not the quantity, its the quality. Always remember that with whisky. Scotch has flavors I learn about with every dram and every tasting. As with you the longer it ages the better it is, as in the Dalwhinnie or the Balvenie - both 15 year malts are considerably smoother and better. Like wine it gets better with time. But - where scotch whisky shines, Irish whiskey is a bit more harsh on the palatte, but I will have to try a sampling of your suggestion.

I was stationed in Scotland for a couple years. I went to a couple of the distilleries and found that the Highlands appealed to me the best, but at 21 my palatte had not "learned" how to really taste, so I will return and try again in a couple years. Just curious - did you ever make it to the military tattoo at the castle in Edinburgh?

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - JrGtr42 - 04-21-2011 09:13 PM

I'll probably get lynched around here, but I had a sample of The Macallan 12-year, and I wasn't really impressed. It wasn't bad - in fact it was quite good, but I'm determining I prefer more smokiness, more peatiness in scotch than the 12-year provides.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-22-2011 06:18 AM

Nah - we won't lynch ya. Ex lax in your morning coffee perhaps!

Actually I agree with you to some extent. I enjoy the Macallan, very much so. Its an easy smooth whisky to drink, but I prefer a smokier or a more peaty flavor to the malt. Now if you want to have fun - try some cask strength Macallan. Thats got flavor to boot.

I hope to try a Talisker or Oban in the next couple weeks.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 04-22-2011 07:45 AM

(04-20-2011 06:40 AM)RythymDog Wrote:  Has anyone had Templeton Rye?? One of my faves but hard to get (and I even live in IA!) Great story behind that "dark water" too.
Where in IA? I see it here in Des Moines, at Central City Liquors if I remember correctly.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-22-2011 08:33 AM

I think I have seen it in Benz Beverage Depot here in Cedar Rapids. At least I think I have. I'm so busy perusing the scotches I dont spend much time in that section.