Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night (/showthread.php?tid=400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 04-22-2011 08:38 AM

Gotta get me another bottle of Scotch in the near future, I have had Glenmorangie 10yr old, & its not bad. I am looking for maybe a 12 or 15yr old next. I have had a glass of 18 yr old Macallan, and it wasn't my flavor. I guess I'm just a bit odd.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - RN-PRN - 04-22-2011 12:28 PM

Nope..you're not odd. Everyone has a different palate and enjoys different flavors Smile

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-22-2011 02:32 PM

I was wondering if anyone had tried Glenmorangie - I see it fairly often but never had the courage to try it. I have had a glass of Glenfiddich, but that was a very long time ago, and I wasnt impressed with the "gasoline" quality, but like I said - long time ago. Agree with RN - you're not odd! Some folks like different things. Take my review of Laphroiag - I think its a very tasty scotch, but I have read reviews where its a bit like gulping down a dump truck full of peat.

One scotch an old friend used to drink is Pinch. I believe its a blended whisky. Its ok, but I still prefer the single malts!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - MAL_ONE - 04-22-2011 03:43 PM

Ok,,, so I am not a "total purist."
For the sake of budget, I have been known on occassion to purchase
some Chivas from time to time. That being said, it is a very smooth
blended scotch. However, what it accounts for in smoothness, it
definitely sacrifices in flavor. I "prefer" the taste of single malts, the Macallen first followed by the Glenlivet. However, when I'm in a bind,
the Chivas will get me through -- along with a couple of Bass Ales.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-22-2011 04:51 PM

Oh my heavens - did someone say....BLEND? ACK!!!!

Thats ok - in a pinch. Glenlivet is ok. I priced a bottle of Glenfarclays about an hour ago - a 30 year bottle runs about $179. Then I spied the bottle of 17 year peated cask Balvenie. $142....then I looked in my checkbook, and left empty handed. Guess will have to wait for payday.

My grandmother loved Chivas - you could tell how much she had by how pickled her finger was!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 04-22-2011 07:58 PM

(04-22-2011 02:32 PM)boomer Wrote:  I was wondering if anyone had tried Glenmorangie - I see it fairly often but never had the courage to try it. I have had a glass of Glenfiddich, but that was a very long time ago, and I wasnt impressed with the "gasoline" quality, but like I said - long time ago. Agree with RN - you're not odd! Some folks like different things. Take my review of Laphroiag - I think its a very tasty scotch, but I have read reviews where its a bit like gulping down a dump truck full of peat.

One scotch an old friend used to drink is Pinch. I believe its a blended whisky. Its ok, but I still prefer the single malts!

Glenmorangie 10yr old is a sweeter scotch than Glenfiddich, I believe its cause its aged in rum casks, not sure. I follow the method of scotch straight with the following roll scotch in glass, sniff, drink...rolling thru mouth, swallow and breath out thru nostrils. Glenfiddich gave me the equivalent of Mr.hyde face whereas Glenmorangie was not too bad. Here's the weird thing tho...I can only drink one glass. the second really is too harsh, even with eating a few dark chocolate pieces(won't say the manufacturer, but look like M&M's). Tried a Lagavulin once and bout hurled, peat flavor is definitely not for me...the sad thing is I ended up dumping it since no one i knew would drink it. A waste of what I'm sure someone would say is a good Scotch. Give me about 10 yrs of tasting and I might find something I can drink...oh well as long as I can drink the Glenmorangie I'm happy.Wink

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Scythe Matters - 04-23-2011 01:16 AM

(04-21-2011 06:10 AM)boomer Wrote:  Its not the quantity, its the quality. Always remember that with whisky. Scotch has flavors I learn about with every dram and every tasting. As with you the longer it ages the better it is, as in the Dalwhinnie or the Balvenie - both 15 year malts are considerably smoother and better. Like wine it gets better with time. But - where scotch whisky shines, Irish whiskey is a bit more harsh on the palatte, but I will have to try a sampling of your suggestion.

I was stationed in Scotland for a couple years. I went to a couple of the distilleries and found that the Highlands appealed to me the best, but at 21 my palatte had not "learned" how to really taste, so I will return and try again in a couple years. Just curious - did you ever make it to the military tattoo at the castle in Edinburgh?

No, unfortunately we did not. Though we managed to squeeze a lot in for our brief stay, we still want to go back for stuff we missed. Hubby says to tell you that the Tullamore is smoother than most Irish whiskys.

It's interesting that you mention your young palate... our 18-yr-old daughter wasn't as impressed with the Highland whiskey. She preferred the Lowlands. But she's not a big drinker anyway. Her favorites, when she did have a drink, were O'Carrolan's Irish Creme which we discovered in Belfast and the Magnar's Hard Cider.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-23-2011 09:17 AM

(04-22-2011 07:58 PM)smoker guy Wrote:  Tried a Lagavulin once and bout hurled, peat flavor is definitely not for me...the sad thing is I ended up dumping it since no one i knew would drink it. A waste of what I'm sure someone would say is a good Scotch. Give me about 10 yrs of tasting and I might find something I can drink...oh well as long as I can drink the Glenmorangie I'm happy.Wink

I'm not surprised regarding your reaction to Lagavulin. It's a very peaty Scotch, hailing from the island of Islay. Personally, I think it's a great representation of that style of whisky (peaty/smokey), but not usually my first choice if others are available. You may enjoy some of the Speyside or Highland scotches - Balvenie and Highland Park come to mind as ones I've had luck with; I'm rather fond of Cragganmore as it's fairly easy to find and doesn't break the bank. If you ever come across a scotch tasting event, it can be worth the ticket price to taste a bunch of single malts. It can save you from an expensive mistake.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-23-2011 12:06 PM

I actually dont mind the peat - as long as it doesn't hit you like a dump truck! For the oldest of the old, your everyday Ardbeg although rich in history is rather peaty. I have been surfing around for other malts online, and good things about Oban, Talisker, Highlands, and Dalmore. so those are being added to my list. Problem is once I get going on a flavor its awful hard to stop! Ordinarily I know I should use the correct glasses for my tasting, but I haven't found any I particularly like, and Mrs. B has denied my request for a set of Baccarat glasses. Don't know why. Tongue

There was a WhiskyFest in Chicago last week, but the attendance fee was $180 - for a four hour tasting party. Thats a bit steep for me.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-23-2011 12:17 PM

(04-23-2011 12:06 PM)boomer Wrote:  There was a WhiskyFest in Chicago last week, but the attendance fee was $180 - for a four hour tasting party. Thats a bit steep for me.

Whoa... $180 is steep. I would've walked away from that, too. Maybe make friends with a whisk(e)y aficionado and mooch off of him/her? Talisker's great, btw.
(04-23-2011 12:06 PM)boomer Wrote:  Ordinarily I know I should use the correct glasses for my tasting, but I haven't found any I particularly like, and Mrs. B has denied my request for a set of Baccarat glasses. Don't know why. Tongue

Expensive tastes, Boomer! I use these:

[Image: 41YZou-ZgnL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]