Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night (/showthread.php?tid=400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-23-2011 12:40 PM

I have only been looking locally for those glasses, but for some reason nobody knows what I am looking for. Yeah I know I have spendy tastes - but anything has got to be better than my JC Penneys holiday set - which my daughters have broken two of the four so far!

Mrs B says if I can afford Baccarrat glasses then I can afford a trip to the Bahamas! How she made that lightning speed yump I don't know.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - MAL_ONE - 04-23-2011 02:21 PM

If this has already been discussed, I do apologize bacause I haven't
read the entire thread. However, let's address it now.
I always drink my scotch, I guess they call it, "neat?" Only once or twice
have a dared to throw it on the rocks. I guess I just really enjoy the
flavor of it when it's straight-up. That being said, I've heard that
putting it on the rocks, or adding a small amount of water (what !) is
suppose to release more of the flavors. How do must of you drink
yours?
I'm very well accustomed to keeping my tequila in the freezer; is that a good idea for scotch as well - if you like it cold?

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-23-2011 02:49 PM

There are varying opinions on how to actually "drink" scotch. Some are on the rocks, some with water, some with "distilled" water (tap water has chlorine in it which would bruise the flavor of the scotch) and some folks who drink the blended malts will use a mixer. I guess it depends on what blows your hair back, but I am a total "neat" freak. Don't you DARE even use ice in my scotch. What a way to kill the flavors! As for keeping it in a fridge or freezer, I think that depends on you. I do not keep my refridgerated, but I do store other liquor in the fridge, like Jaegermeister, peppermint schnapps, and Yukon Jack.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-23-2011 07:19 PM

I will second what Boomer said - it's all how YOU like it. "Cutting" with water is perfectly acceptable to reduce the "hotness" of a whisky and allow the drinker to concentrate on the nose and flavor of the spirit. Like Boomer, I prefer mine neat, feeling that "hotness" is part of the experience. Personal preference, what can I say. Although, Booker's Single Barrel Bourbon, at 126 proof, gets a splash of H2O on occasion.

A good single malt or bourbon will NEVER touch ice in my glass, but I have no problem with a Crown on the rocks or Jack and Coke.
It's destiny. As I've mentioned, I'm no fan of Laphroaig, having trouble getting past it's massive peatiness, at least to my palette. I went to see "Water for Elephants" today (a fine film), and wouldn't ya know it? The were drinking Laphroaig! I must re-visit.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 04-23-2011 07:35 PM

I agre with Boomer & dheafey...neat all the way. Oh and Boomer, I have seen glasses like that at Central City Liquors(Des Moines) fairly cheap. I myself use the same glass as when I drink my personal fav. elixir(absinthe...ahhh La Fee Vert); one of my wife's wine glasses. I feel that they hold in the aroma quite well and still do the job... I can be a bit of a cheapo from time to time. Absinthe pantarliers are not the cheapest glasses to come across, and never got around to buying a Scotch glass, as I don't drink Scotch that often. As an afterthought, the only liquor I keep in the fridge(freezer actually) is vodka. Whether its Tito's at $20 abottle or Jewel of Russia at $140+ a bottle, vodka should always be kept ice cold if one wants to drink it straight up.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-24-2011 09:45 AM

I guess it depends on what you like. Some things, yeah I dont really care about, but at home I want my scotch to be perfect, a bit like some folks with wine. You dont drink wine out of a cereal box....so why should scotch be any different. Unless of course, you ride a BMW motorcycle, on the road doing a concert tour, your GPS is called Dufus, and your nickname is Pratt.

Actually tried this one time in front of a whisky aficionado one time. I think he almost passed out. Poured a glass of Balvenie 15 year into a pint sized mason jar. Hey - my kinfolk in Tennessee use those for sweet tea!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 04-24-2011 12:01 PM

(04-24-2011 09:45 AM)boomer Wrote:  I guess it depends on what you like. Some things, yeah I dont really care about, but at home I want my scotch to be perfect, a bit like some folks with wine. You dont drink wine out of a cereal box....so why should scotch be any different. Unless of course, you ride a BMW motorcycle, on the road doing a concert tour, your GPS is called Dufus, and your nickname is Pratt.

Actually tried this one time in front of a whisky aficionado one time. I think he almost passed out. Poured a glass of Balvenie 15 year into a pint sized mason jar. Hey - my kinfolk in Tennessee use those for sweet tea!

Well, I do ride a BMW bike...but no similarity on the rest.Smile Would have loved to see the whiskey afficianado freak when u did that, bet it was a true Kodak moment.Big Grin

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-24-2011 02:41 PM

Words cannot even BEGIN to tell that tale! He was so livid he still won't talk to me about it! Of course our "other" BMW buddies are using dixie cups and hotel room china - so I guess ya can't be too awful picky!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - 2Beers - 04-24-2011 07:31 PM

Well Boomer your other "BMW" Friend says " any Macallan in plastic china is still better than no Macallan at all Smile"

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-24-2011 07:33 PM

Now THAT is the Gospel According to Barr! Well put!!

Wonder if we could have that put on a tshirt?