Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night (/showthread.php?tid=400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-27-2011 06:12 AM

(04-26-2011 06:44 PM)boomer Wrote:  We'll just poke him with a stick and hold him over a bonfire. You'd be amazed at the things people will confess to when you put their feet to the fire!

Ahh, I see. Come on over to our campfire. Here, drink this. It's really good. Next thing I know, I'm rotating on a spit over a fire.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-27-2011 06:18 AM

Of course - why else would we have a campfire?

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - NWoBHM - 04-27-2011 06:23 AM

DH don`t mention chestnuts and roasting to Boomer........

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-27-2011 06:35 AM

Mmmmmmchestnuts.......open fire.....

I ordered a set of tasting glasses last Saturday - they should be here today. Was hoping to try them out on a dram of LaPhroiag tonight. The thing I noticed about LaPhroiag is it doesnt matter what kind of glass its in - the aroma lights up a whole room!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-27-2011 07:06 AM

(04-27-2011 06:35 AM)boomer Wrote:  Mmmmmmchestnuts.......open fire.....

I ordered a set of tasting glasses last Saturday - they should be here today. Was hoping to try them out on a dram of LaPhroiag tonight. The thing I noticed about LaPhroiag is it doesnt matter what kind of glass its in - the aroma lights up a whole room!

Speaking of tasting Islays...

I knocked back a dram of Ardbeg 10 last night. It's unfiltered and hung around on the glass when swirled - very oily. Nosing, it's a very good representation of an Islay (salty, briney, peaty). Tasting, I got MAJOR pepper for a long time. I would say this is a bit young as the 17 is more balanced and bolder.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-27-2011 08:54 AM

Thats what I have is the Ardbeg 10 year. Actually found it on sale online and couldn't resist a try.

Of the four Islays I have tried, Ardbeg by far is the strongest, and peatyest. I noticed that it did hold to the glass more a sure sign of the thicker oily texture. As far as pepper, I don't know that I got that much, but it was fairly strong. I didnt get as strong of an aroma as LaPhroiag, but it certainly was a heavy on the peat for sure.

One thing I note is some of the more experienced tasters indicate "iodine" flavor. Maybe my taster needs more work - is this something you taste, and maybe what tones am I looking for that indicate that?

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-27-2011 09:44 AM

(04-27-2011 08:54 AM)boomer Wrote:  One thing I note is some of the more experienced tasters indicate "iodine" flavor. Maybe my taster needs more work - is this something you taste, and maybe what tones am I looking for that indicate that?

I didn't pick up on the iodine, mostly the pepperiness and peat/smoke. I did find it a bit "hot" when you combine the 46 ABV and the pepper, though. In the beer world, I would liken it to an IPA that's a little heavy on the hops without enough malt to balance it out.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 04-27-2011 10:30 AM

I think I`m gonna try Glenmorangie 12 yr. old next. Haven`t decided whether or not to go with the cask strength or not tho... if I go cask, will have to get some Fiji water for it.Smile

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 04-27-2011 10:37 AM

The local liquor parlor I go to has a shelf full of that stuff, so I am a little interested to see how that goes. I'll have to ask around to see who may have had that before. I think I remember seeing a 24 yr at the shop, but if I am going to spend that much I'd rather go Balvenie, Laphroiag, or Macallan.

I am tempted to grab a bottle of Macallan this weekend - problem is it don't last long around my house.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 05-06-2011 02:49 PM

Just got me a bottle the Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12yr scotch. The scotch is finished in Portugese barrels...can't wait til I get back from dinner with my friend to try a wee dram.Big Grin