Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Sources, Tools and Techniques (/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: Wine, Beer, Cocktails, Beverage and Food Combinations (/forumdisplay.php?fid=23)
+--- Thread: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night (/showthread.php?tid=400)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 05-09-2011 09:59 AM

I picked up a bottle of The Balvenie Double Wood 12 year old. I'll have a more thorough review in the near future, but IMO it's exceptional for a $40 USD single malt.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 05-19-2011 08:09 PM

Well, as I`ve drank most of the bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, I must say it is a nice Scotch. The hint of Port from the finishing cask is quite nice. This is what I liked most. Usually it will take me some time to finish a bottle, this one will be slightly more than 2 weeks. It doesn`t have harshness of Glenfiddich, or the boourbonn flavor of Glenmorangie 10yr. old. I think the reason I wasan`t thrilled with MaCallan is the hint of Sherry. Oh well, on to the next single malt.Smile

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 05-19-2011 08:15 PM

Boy you're brave sayin' THAT in here!!! Tongue

Actually I rather enjoy the sherry, but I have not tried the Glenmorangie. They have a whole shelf full of just that one at the Spirits shop in town. I might pick up that one next time I am there. Seems that the four bottles I have are each half full. That means I am getting low!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - MAL_ONE - 05-20-2011 09:48 AM

(05-09-2011 09:59 AM)dheafey Wrote:  I picked up a bottle of The Balvenie Double Wood 12 year old. I'll have a more thorough review in the near future, but IMO it's exceptional for a $40 USD single malt.

The first and only time I've had the Balvenie was when I was on a
trip through Yellowstone (The Macallen was not available; if it was
available in my area, I would purchase it here). I agree; it was a very
good scotch, more preferable than Glenfiddich (the pear taste is just
ugly to me).

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 05-20-2011 12:16 PM

(05-19-2011 08:15 PM)boomer Wrote:  Boy you're brave sayin' THAT in here!!! Tongue

Actually I rather enjoy the sherry, but I have not tried the Glenmorangie. They have a whole shelf full of just that one at the Spirits shop in town. I might pick up that one next time I am there. Seems that the four bottles I have are each half full. That means I am getting low!

I don't know bout brave...maybe just foolish?Big Grin
I think I'm gonna give the MaCallan another shot, if I can find the right one. The 18 yr. old I had, was drunk incorrectly...I didn't roll the whiskey in my mouth with a follow thru nasal exhale. Don't know how much difference this would have made, still I musn't dislike it off of one glass. I do know that the Islay(I think these are the smokier types) are not my style. Too strong for my blood.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 05-20-2011 04:26 PM

Islays by their very nature are a hard whisky to get used to. You either don't like them or you do its that simple. Some islays....such as Ardbeg, just scream a swampy taste, but Laphroiag one of the most popular Islays, is filled with peat and other flavors that either please or dont please. One other member likened Laphroaig to being hit by a dump truck of peat. Macallan, to me, is quite a bit lighter, and can carry flavors such as sherry that you may or may not find attractive. I enjoy the Macallan - I have been thru two bottles in one year, so I do like its qualities. I also enjoy others, such as Balvenie and Dalwhinnie, which has some honey overtones to it. Of all the whiskys I have sampled so far, The Balvenie 15 yr is about my favorite. I don't know that its going to make much difference how you try Macallan, though. If your palatte didn't approve the first time, the second time won't get much better IMHO.

A coworker of mine told me that usually the first bottle you try will set the tone for what your preference may be. In my case I dont know that that is completely accurate, rather I believe what your palatte tells you decides. I am in the process of reading a book on whiskys - it helps to learn about some of the lesser known malts just in the off chance you get a chance to grab a bottle up you might know what you are buying!

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 05-20-2011 08:17 PM

that makes alot of sense Boomer. I kinda like the sound of the dalwhinnie, may have to check out that one. Is there a particular year to go with, or does it not really matter?

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 05-21-2011 09:12 AM

The only one I can find locally is the 15 yr and I don't think yhou can find a 12 yr Dalwhinnie to my knowledge. If you dig you can find other years, but the only one I have is the 15 year. Now I do know there is an 18 year, and if you dig a little a 21 year, but then you almost need to be fairly set in your finances when you start getting into $500 bottles of scotch!

But if I was......!!! Big Grin

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - smoker guy - 05-21-2011 11:11 AM

(05-21-2011 09:12 AM)boomer Wrote:  The only one I can find locally is the 15 yr and I don't think yhou can find a 12 yr Dalwhinnie to my knowledge. If you dig you can find other years, but the only one I have is the 15 year. Now I do know there is an 18 year, and if you dig a little a 21 year, but then you almost need to be fairly set in your finances when you start getting into $500 bottles of scotch!

But if I was......!!! Big Grin

I know that I'd at least have to drink it fast, cause as soon as the wife found out....I'd be up the creek for sure.Big Grin Will look into the 15yr. Dalwhinnie.

RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 05-21-2011 01:37 PM

Yeah but look on the bright side - at least you would have the GOOD STUFF to keep you company!Big Grin