Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill
Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Printable Version

+- Bubba's Bar 'n' Grill (http://www.neilpeart.net/bng_forum_beta)
+-- Forum: Share with us tales of journeys involving travel, food and music. (/forumdisplay.php?fid=16)
+--- Forum: It's Show Time! (/forumdisplay.php?fid=33)
+--- Thread: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge (/showthread.php?tid=530)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Boomer - 06-10-2011 06:47 AM

(06-09-2011 08:55 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  That sounds more exciting than any of my trips to Portland when I was younger.

Probably in the last year, I've been able to discover Portland a bit more, at least more than I ever did growing up. Back then, we went to my grandparents' house, my aunt's house and to church and then came home. If we were downtown it was due to the Rose parade to see the stores at Christmastime. If we were on Burnside, that meant that whichever parent was driving the car, was lost.

Mrs. B probably wouldn't mind being carded now would she? I know that I wouldn't mind, lol. Of course, if it's a 21 year old carding me, my thought tends to be something like this, "Nice try at trying to make me feel good when you know I'm old enough to be your mother!"

Lost on Burnside??? OMG!!! When I was in high school we used to take TriMet downtown ALL the time....and just explore. Drove my parents NUTS. Then I took my then girlfriend downtown one time, and we got approached by a dealer. My mom went nuts, but dad sat me down asked me how I handled it, and we were good after that.

Mrs B doesnt mind being carded now, but back then she assumed everyone knew she was 27 when she didnt look hardly 18 to me. I actually had to see her license to believe she was that old. Problem with me is my beard is so white nobody even tries to card ME anymore unless they want to see my AARP card!

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Bageleth - 06-10-2011 08:10 AM

My husby has the same deal going on with his beard. No one has asked for his AARP card, which is good because he doesn't qualify for one. I've been carded approximately 3-4 times in the last 2 years.

Oh, yes, Burnside was the indicator that we had missed our turn or our exit. My dad always wound up there because he had missed the exit to the zoo (and by then, the rest of us had very full bladders), or my mom would miss the exit to the church she wanted to visit that day (she would say, "This is not the place that you should get out of your car!").

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Boomer - 06-10-2011 11:03 AM

Yeah....uh Mrs B does have a card, since she is a little OLDER than I, but I dont qualify either.

Burnside was the indicator? OMG! I would think you would have something before Burnside! I mean....Pioneer Square, or perhaps the Bank Tower.....if you get to Burnside and then you figure you're lost? Of course - says he who used to roam Burnside looking for trouble too. But in '99 when I was there last most of Burnside had changed - A LOT! There is one particular place down there about 2 blocks north of Burnside just after you cross over I-405 that makes wonderful tasty omlettes but its pretty hidden I think. Maybe I should ask if you have ever been to The Rheinlander? Uuff dah that place is good........

You can tell I am homesick by how much I ramble about PDX.

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Boomer - 06-10-2011 11:09 AM

Dont feel bad - I dont got one of those cards either but that sure is coming up in a hurry!

Burnside is the indicator. OMG! If thats your landmark find another navigator. You know if you go thru the tunnel up Sunset Highway that exit at the top of the hill will take you to the zoo. Going THRU town will get you lost for sure. Of course says he who roamed all over looking for trouble. The last time I was there though Burnside had changed A LOT! There is one place not too far north of Burnside after you go over I405 that makes the tastiest omlettes. Have y'all been to Der Rheinlander? Or maybe Nona Emelia's? Or what my high school buddies in Aloha refer to as the Center of the Universe - Giovanni's..............

You can tell I am homesick by how much I ramble about PDX.

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Bageleth - 06-10-2011 11:29 AM

I haven't been to Der Rheinlander or Noma Emelia's. We're still discovering new places when we go up there. Burnside has improved in some areas. I have a friend who is a pastor who has church on Burnside, so he must feel fairly safe there. Until I moved in with a friend, who traveled to Portland a lot, I had never heard of Pioneer Square. While growing up, going to Portland meant staying with grandparents in Milwaukie. With them, we only went as far as Oregon City. The usual places were restaurants named GG's or Tebo's, and malls name Lloyd Center, Clackamas Town Center or Washington Square, and because we sew, a stop at the Mill End Store was a regular too. A couple of times, my grandpa took me roller skating at Oakes Amusement park. Oh, and in those later years, we saw a lot of the Good Samaritan Hospital (because there were several times that my grandma was there and we would hear "this could be it").

Now, we're trying to see more of Portland. There's the food carts on the corner of 12th & Hawthorne (that are only open from about 6PM until 2 or 3AM and you can only pay in cash for your food), and a restaurant name Old Wives Tale(s) which is alright. Last year, we saw the band's documentary in a part of Portland that I had never been to, in an old, old theater. I loved the neighborhood though as there were several old houses from the 20's & 30's as well as brick apartment buildings.

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Snapdad - 06-11-2011 11:56 PM

(06-10-2011 11:29 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  Now, we're trying to see more of Portland.

PDX? I like Laurelthirst for breakkie.

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Boomer - 06-12-2011 09:55 AM

When I lived there last in 1998-99 Portland had been working to clean up the Burnside area. When I was in high school it was the place where all the prostitutes and drug dealers hung out. Now I think they have moved on to the Gresham area. There are plenty of places to stop and eat drink or whatever, and Powell Books is close by if you want to dig up some reading material - they have or can get ANY book. Nona's is a little Italian Restaurant in Beaverton. For the longest time they had an old musician who would stroll thru the place playing old italian love songs on his accordian. When I was in the navy and came home on leave we would go there and my dad would have him play "Anchors Aweigh"! Ugh.....dad can't carry a tune with a wheelbarrow.

There are literally tons of places to go - but it has changed so much since I was there last!

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Rey - 06-12-2011 10:09 AM

(06-12-2011 09:55 AM)boomer Wrote:  Nona's is a little Italian Restaurant in Beaverton. For the longest time they had an old musician who would stroll thru the place playing old italian love songs on his accordian.

I have never been to this area, but the quote above paints a very nice picture!

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Boomer - 06-12-2011 12:51 PM

This place is just about the best place just to go and have a nice family dinner. No rush no fuss, but its sure popular. I used to go there about once a week when I was in high school, and order a meatball calzone with was to die for. Then I took my kids there, and the same guy that was playing his accordian in 1979 was still there in 1998.

And he remembered me!

RE: Saturday, July 2nd @ The Gorge - Scythe Matters - 06-14-2011 02:19 AM

A month to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Exclamation