Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Cars I Remember
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
RE: Cars I Remember
What??! No 1956 calendar resplendent w/Rey autograph??! **HARUMPH Dodgy**
Still keepin' my fingers crossed on PACER!!
Pa-cer....Pa-CER....PAY-SIR....

PS Nettie "friend of my brothers" = girlhood crush
[Ooooohhh....BUSTED! Tongue]

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-22-2012, 10:13 PM
(02-22-2012 03:25 PM)Rey Wrote:  Good one Gunga, you had me worried there for a second, had to look that up. The 1978 Avanti II had a top speed of 124 mph, so its up there in the running, but not quite what it takes.

As far as the Mustang, 1978 was well into the Mustang II era, not known as very good Mustangs. The best one that year was the Mustang II King Cobra, ooh, sounds nasty Rolleyes but with a top speed of 109 mph, the Camaro's were definitely laughing that year. Big Grin

Farrah's car was a 1976 Mustang Cobra II, and it had the blue stripes. She looked so good she didn't need to go fast.

I got to thinking about it later and I was out of college by late 1974, so the Avanti wouldn't have worked anyway...

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
02-23-2012, 06:17 AM
What about my educated el camino guess? May be a silly lookin' piece of machinery but there is just something about it...

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
02-23-2012, 09:49 AM
Some of the Chevy Suburbans came with 454's. But not sure if the gear would be tall enough.....

Fir Na Tine
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM (This post was last modified: 02-23-2012 01:33 PM by Rey.)
(02-23-2012 06:17 AM)Counselor Wrote:  What about my educated el camino guess? May be a silly lookin' piece of machinery but there is just something about it...

I did try to look it up at the site where I looked up the others. For some reason they don't have the El Camino listed. I have been stating the top speed of the cars here just in case we find one faster than the one in my book, the subject of this trivia question (in case the book is wrong). I can't find an official top speed for the El Camino, but I am going to assume that it did not go faster than the Corvette. I did find a forum where someone stated his El Camino with the 350 in it topped out at 115, so I'm going to go with that. Its hard to go on forum replies because a lot of the cars are now modified, and we want the stock from the factory speed.

I will list the top speed of the cars if I can find the information. If I can't, then we will just have to assume the list of top speeds in my book is correct, unless we can prove otherwise. If it isn't on the list, it probably wasn't fast enough. (The Suburban isn't it Fireman but keep at it I think you can get it, almost there)
02-24-2012, 12:56 PM
Remember that Chevy Monza I told you about? Well it was really quick and it did come with a 262 Cu. In V8 adn a 5 speed. Run that one accross the machinne and see if it is a winner....There was the Spyder package and a GT or Sport package.

Fir Na Tine
02-24-2012, 01:47 PM
(02-24-2012 12:56 PM)Fireman Wrote:  Remember that Chevy Monza I told you about? Well it was really quick and it did come with a 262 Cu. In V8 adn a 5 speed. Run that one accross the machinne and see if it is a winner....There was the Spyder package and a GT or Sport package.

I'm showing that the Monza that year came with a 231 cubic inch engine, top speed 115 mph, and also came with a 305 V8 (even better) with a top speed of 124 mph. Not bad. Couldn't find the 262 though and its not listed on wiki as an engine option that year either. The 262 was listed for the 1975 Monza at 110 horsepower, so it would have been weaker than the 305 anyway.
02-24-2012, 03:46 PM
Though I REALLY want to throw in the Gremlin as a guess (because its ..... well we all know what it is .... F'n cool) I am going to toss to more onto the fire of truth:
The Duster (cause its what mom and traded in their 68 convertible mustang for when they had me)
The oh so classy Grand National ...

On with the blaze

November is now MOvember. Knowledge is POWER and the Mustache is KING. Support mens Health and my Mustache farm here: http://mobro.co/counselor
02-24-2012, 03:56 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012 04:21 PM by N'awlins.)
True 'Dat with the AMC's Counselor!...I had a '72 Hornet as a first car, my dad had bought it new and I inherited it in '81, with 212K miles on it! I don't think they made the Duster after74-75 because of the EPA b.s., but they were one sweet ride! I'm thinkin' for the quiz at hand, I'm gonna' have to stick with the Mopar/Plymouth solution, though a lot of them had already gone by the wayside of Mitsubishi for a powerplant. I think Dodge was still making some screamers though...Dodge Monaco/Chrysler Newport Rey?!

"Rollin' numbers, rock-n-rollin', got my Kiss records out!"
02-24-2012, 06:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-24-2012 06:32 PM by Mufasa.)
The 262 came in a Nova-looking something, I believe. I know he could stop faster than any on the hot rods in our group.
(he just couldn't get there first...)

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.