Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Making Wine
12-03-2010, 05:21 PM
RE: Making Wine
Fermenter! Who would o' thought....

The licorice I used wasn't of the nibs variety. It was a specialty item. I think pure licorice must be something that most norte americano taste buds are not familiar with. The reason you freeze it is that it grinds up real nice in a spice mill when you add it to the "PRIMARY FERMENTER" (just sayin'!). If you didn't know it was in the mix you would never guess. Just a nice highlite without being "present" and simply a small part of the panoply of flavors....

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2010, 09:04 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2010 09:05 PM by VincentUlyssis.)
I grew fennel this year en mass to attract black swallowtails. I wonder if that would be like licorice.
Two weeks to bottle. Let's hope.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2010, 10:17 PM
(12-03-2010 05:21 PM)Brutus Wrote:  Fermenter! Who would o' thought....

The licorice I used wasn't of the nibs variety. It was a specialty item. I think pure licorice must be something that most norte americano taste buds are not familiar with. The reason you freeze it is that it grinds up real nice in a spice mill when you add it to the "PRIMARY FERMENTER" (just sayin'!). If you didn't know it was in the mix you would never guess. Just a nice highlite without being "present" and simply a small part of the panoply of flavors....

Nah, I love REAK licoricw (and twizzler whips and black jelly beans are NOT real) There;s a place near here I can get real Australian licorice bits. super strong. Yum.
I've gotten some licorice flavors in my homebrews without using any real stuff - just in the roasts of the malt can get that way. Maybe sometime in the future I'll get experimental like that, but so far, I'll stick with the German Purity laws (malt, water, hops and yeast)
12-08-2010, 09:00 PM
You're making me want to really try that! Where can I get some?

Almost one week to bottling!
12-12-2010, 10:55 AM (This post was last modified: 12-12-2010 10:57 AM by JrGtr42.)
If you mean the REAL Licorice (and sorry i can't spell...) I get it at
Trader Joe's. They have a bucket of maybe 8 ounces for 2.99 or so.
Also, most homebrew shops sell brewer-grade licorice (totally non-sweetened, etc, like what Brutus was talking about) Don't know what pricing would be for that.

Good luck waiting for bottling!!
I just brewed myself again yesterday, basically a repeat of an IPA I did last spring.
Should be ready to bottle Xmas weekend. Drinkable a couple weeks after that. Smile
Plus, today I'm baking bread using the spent grains. Just in the rising stage and it already smells good.
12-13-2010, 09:03 PM
You are the real deal my friend! I'm bottling this weekend. That bread must've been unbelievable fresh out the oven!
12-14-2010, 09:19 PM
Yep, bread was quite the tastyness. and it works real well for sandwiches too... the grain gives a nice nutty flavor along with the rest of it.
12-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Tomorrow it goes into the bottle! I'll taste it and let you know how good or bad it came.
12-18-2010, 11:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-18-2010 11:59 AM by Boomer.)
Just a quick question - if you could recommend one book or two for a beginner wino - what would it be? Since our oldest is now leaving the nest, my wife figures we can maybe start buying a few bottles at a time, and maybe even putting in a small wine rack, but I dont know enough about wine other than the ones I have had. What I am looking for is a guide to some good wines, some tips and tricks that sort of thing. Nothing extravagant (did anyone see Big Al's wine cellar?) but just enough to have maybe 20 or 30 bottles in a small rack in the basement at any given time, and which ones would be good buys for starters.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
12-19-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi Boom,

Just a quick: Yeah, right!

That's a tough challenge. So many factors to consider. Do you want to cellar your wine, wait for it to become drinkable and in the meantime drink more immediately available wines? Most wine available to us common folk are usually one of 2 things: They are ready to drink but have no finesse, character, or distinctive qualities, or they are good wines that are going to be very nice in X number of years but at the moment taste like the dregs from a spitoon....tobacco being a highly rated quality in wine! One thing I've learned from "reading" about wines I could not afford, is that your tastes will change as you get deeper into your interest. Did you think, when you were young, that you'd enjoy olives, anchovies, eating gravel, chewing on a plug of tobacco? Apparently these are all possible descriptions of wine bouquet and taste. There are actually web sites that mock and toy with oenologist usage. My recommendation is to find people in your area that have formed a tasting group. It works because you bring a bottle and they bring a bottle....the more the merrier...and you get to do blind tastings of many different wines for the price of one. An interesting phenom of wine groups is the fact that when they repeat the tests years or months later....EVERYONE!!!!!!...has changed their opinion of the wines they tasted earlier...I think that is what is so cool about wines...the constant evolution and perhaps devolution.

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'