Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Recipe Throw-Down!
11-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Recipe Throw-Down!
What is a Recipe Throw-down?

It’s quite simple. Once a month we will pick one of the recipes posted here on the board for trial.

If you participate you will have to commit to making said recipe TWICE.

The FIRST time you will make the recipe AS WRITTEN.
The only exceptions to this are if you are allergic to any of the ingrediance, (and still want to try the recipe) or if you are Vegan or Vegetarian, then substitutions are allowed.
Also if the recipe will make far more portions that you can eat in an acceptable time, then you can size the recipe down.

The SECOND time you make the recipe you will MAKE IT YOUR OWN.
Make changes, substutions, go ahead and guild the lilly!
Change it in any way that will (in your opinion) improve it, but write it down and share it here.

What do you think? Are you in?

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-14-2012, 09:29 PM
RE: Recipe Throw-Down!
I will be happy to act as judge for said events...

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
11-15-2012, 03:13 AM
I'm in! Big Grin

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
11-15-2012, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-15-2012 09:28 AM by 2Beers.)
Smile let the fun begin.
Side note thought-- what if your recipe is the one that is picked as the original poster, should you sit out and let the others compete?

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
(11-15-2012 09:27 AM)2Beers Wrote:  Smile let the fun begin.
Side note thought-- what if your recipe is the one that is picked as the original poster, should you sit out and let the others compete?

I don't see why you'd have to sit out, you'll just be able to skip the first part since you know what the original recipe tastes like.
And I think there's always room for improvement in a recipe if you look close enough...Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
~Laura Moncur
11-17-2012, 10:20 PM
110 views and only the 3 of us are going to play?
Really? Really? Huh
All right you have one more chance to sound off, and then we'll choose a recipe Monday...

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur
11-17-2012, 10:57 PM
It's Thanksgiving week...I don't have time to do a throwdown!
Maybe I'll join in the next one.

11-18-2012, 06:23 AM
I'll give it a whirl, sounds like fun!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
11-18-2012, 07:29 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 07:30 AM by Sunset.)
(11-17-2012 10:20 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  110 views and only the 3 of us are going to play?
Really? Really? Huh
All right you have one more chance to sound off, and then we'll choose a recipe Monday...

I gave the concept some serious thought, but I have to bow out. I never go after anything half arsed...full commitment or nothing. And I need, for my own mental well being, to put some serious miles in this winter. If it isn't gale force outside...I'll be on a motorcycle. I just won't have the time to seriously commit, and if there's one thing I can't stand it's a person who says they're in and then flakes out.

Based on your BnG contributions I have a lot of respect for your cooking abilities, and the last thing I'd want to do is disapppoint by saying I'm in then falling short...

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
11-18-2012, 09:27 AM (This post was last modified: 11-18-2012 09:31 AM by HardwareGrl.)
(11-17-2012 10:57 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  It's Thanksgiving week...I don't have time to do a throwdown!
Maybe I'll join in the next one.

Good point Nettie! Does everyone want to wait till Nov 25th to start?
And for a timeline, do we want to do a 2 week window?
Meaning you have 2 weeks from the start date to make the original recipe and your modifications?
(11-18-2012 07:29 AM)Sunset Wrote:  
(11-17-2012 10:20 PM)HardwareGrl Wrote:  110 views and only the 3 of us are going to play?
Really? Really? Huh

I gave the concept some serious thought, but I have to bow out. I never go after anything half arsed...full commitment or nothing. And I need, for my own mental well being, to put some serious miles in this winter. If it isn't gale force outside...I'll be on a motorcycle. I just won't have the time to seriously commit, and if there's one thing I can't stand it's a person who says they're in and then flakes out.

Based on your BnG contributions I have a lot of respect for your cooking abilities, and the last thing I'd want to do is disapppoint by saying I'm in then falling short...

Aww Sunset, you're very kind! Blush

I don't want this to get too serious, its supposed to be fun too!
And besides, if we pick a recipe that somebody SERIOUSLY would never consider making, I don't want to force someone to make it just because they said they'd join not knowing which recipe we were making...Big Grin

"Life ain't like books.
~Laura Moncur