Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Phil's Fish Market. Moss landing, CA
07-29-2013, 01:34 PM
Phil's Fish Market. Moss landing, CA
A fantastic spot for lunch on the central coast a few miles north of Monterey. A combination of an outstanding fresh fish mkt with "reasonable" pricing...a thriving restaurant...and a beer/wine bar with a super cool dude tending it.

I usually go with the cioppino which is excellent, but I saw something on ice in the fish mkt section that caught my eye and asked if I could get it prepared in the restaurant section. "Sure you can!" was the answer, sooo...

White smelt. Pairs well with a Lagunitas IPA imo.

[Image: food127_zps8349b166.jpg]

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
RE: Phil's Fish Market. Moss landing, CA
Once again found myself near good ol Moss landing. This time, went with the lobster roll. The Lagunitas was too hoppy to pair well with the delicate lob flavor. Easy fix...guzzle that sucker down and THEN enjoy the sammich.Big Grin

[Image: food160_zpsb040e4db.jpg]

01-04-2014, 11:41 AM
yabba dabba droool!

"Listen...Jump on a moonbeam and rise, ride it, glide it all the way"
01-05-2014, 12:23 AM
undefined
01-05-2014, 07:54 PM
(01-05-2014 12:23 AM)LiveToCook Wrote:  undefined

LTC...when you reply this is what I've been seeing lately. Which sucks because I do believe you're probably about the most knowledgeable "ambitious home cook" on the board and your input is valuable.

Computer glitch? Struck down by the Ban Hammer for being naughty?Big Grin

01-06-2014, 12:01 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 12:02 AM by LiveToCook.)
undefined
undefined
01-06-2014, 10:30 AM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 10:58 AM by LiveToCook.)
undefined
undefined
undefined
TEST Big Grin
Something is bugging within one of my computers... Seems to be working good on this one here... As I was saying.... Sunset, I am somewhat jealous here. The tour you treat us to is somewhat of a gastronomical tour of California. A region or State that I appreciate very much but that I have not been to in way too long. As previously mentioned in numerous other threads, I do have a severe weakness for the California wines. Of course with the new ''foodie'' trends and all the new high performing chefs established in CA, it is becoming more and more of a foodie's must go spot. Some of the post(s) you have put on are most inviting ways to make us ''salivate''. On a final note, who says that North Americans are way behind Europeans and Asians when it comes to food? We NA are not to be dismissed in any way from the top world destinations for the fresh high quality foods, ingredients and beverages (wines, beers and spirits) produced right into our own backyards. And of course chefs and home cooks that have the knowledge(s) and creativity that Europeans and Asians claim only they possess!!!
01-06-2014, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 01-06-2014 02:35 PM by Sunset.)
Agreed on all counts. One slight drawback, however, with the foodie trend. Most good Napa Cabs and Bordeaux blends are now 20%-30% more expensive than they were 5yrs ago due to increased demand. Which is one reason I've switched over the majority of my consumption to the Paso Robles micro-climates and terroir. An area you will definitely be hearing more and more about from people who purchase wine for taste rather than cachet.

Good to have ya back!
As I mentioned above, in addition to a slamming good no-frills seafood eatery Phil's also boasts an excellent fresh fish market. Which is why I always bring my trusty ice chest along whenever I'm not on two wheels and know I'll be in the area. On this last visit the Petrale sole looked particularly engaging, and boy was it! Soooooo....

Petrale Sole Meunier with lemon kale quinoa.

[Image: food165_zps216c1daf.jpg]

We all work diligently to create/prepare dishes to delight ourselves, our close friends and our families. If we're honest we must admit that most turn out well, though some turn out below our standards(sometimes disastrously so). But once in a while we crack that sucker right outta the park. This dish was one of those.Smile

01-06-2014, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014 10:07 PM by LiveToCook.)
Many thanks for the Paso Robles reminder, these wines are good and still decently priced. As you probably know, I am in Canada and on top of that in the Eastern part called Quebec... Where prices are sometimes so high that you feel like drinking water. But, if you get into the higher priced and the highly praised and rated wines, we get to pay less than you guys sometimes (believe it or not). Again for pricing, I do agree that the prices are on the rise. But if you compare French to Californian dollar for dollar - ounce for ounce, the California wines are way ahead of the French. Hope that you agree with me! As for the Italian, Australian, Argentinian and a few of the other producing countries, so have they increased. It seems that the heavy demand due to popularity and new consuming countries like China, has certainly created a monster. To come back to the Paso Robles, my word would be as such; enjoy! while the going is good and we do get some out our way... If I am not mistaking, they won the top wine region of the year... ''ME THINK SECRET IS OUT'' ha, ha, ha.... Sorry, had to put this in... Had L'Aventure on New Years day, excellent for 55.00 $can. As for this fish market of yours, I would love to try this place!!! And the fish plate... I can taste the freshness just looking at the photo... looks great and I am sure that it was Grand Slam... And how true, your statement... ''We all work diligently to create/prepare dishes to delight ourselves, our close friends and our families. If we're honest we must admit that most turn out well, though some turn out below our standards(sometimes disastrously so). But once in a while we crack that sucker right outta the park. This dish was one of those'' And I don't care if you are in the top 10 chefs in the world... you go through all these phases... maybe not as often as amateurs like me, but...
01-07-2014, 09:15 AM
You know about L'Aventure on the completely opposite end of the continent??????

Mind...blown...

Geez man, either you are an extremely sophisticated consumer or the secret is well and truly out. But for cryinoutloud, don't go telling everybody. My L'Aventure wine club pricing will go through the roof!Confused