Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Subdivisions
04-30-2014, 08:11 AM
Subdivisions
So, my husband and I are from the Peoria, IL area. We moved up near Aurora, IL (Chicago suburb) for his job last summer and we're getting ready to move back home in a couple of months.

One thing I was really looking forward to was all the good eats. MAN have I been disappointed.

We live about an hour from the city, so driving there just to sample cuisine wasn't happening, but the suburbs are seriously lacking in good, inexpensive fare.

There are some really good expensive restaurants, and some decent Mexican joints, but everything else is a chain restaurant.

And one thing you'd think they'd do well is pizza. Well, most of the deep dish is excellent, but we're in our 40's and can't eat deep dish all the time. The thin crust up here: Terrible. We've had pizza from about 10 different places and only in one place is it even tolerable.

Really disappointing. I'm actually thrilled about moving back. To Peoria. Illinois.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-30-2014, 09:22 AM
RE: Subdivisions
I feel for ya! We live in the sticks with the usual fast food places and a Dennys. There are several mom and pop places. You'd think "goldmine"! But no.....there's one good place and the rest are mediocre greasy fried food yuk. A good place up here would do so well but I'm not sure the pallettes of the mountain folk would catch on. Better foodie luck to you in Peoria!

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-30-2014, 09:50 AM
RE: Subdivisions
Peoria has quite the scene. Salt, Sugar, June, and other one name hipster type restaurants with low heat cooking an all that jazz. But we also have a number of Mom n Pop places that are pretty fabulous. And even though we only have one or two deep dish places, we have a ton of locally owned thin crust joints that will knock your socks off. Even the corporate cafeteria vendor at my college knows to not slack off on the crust.