Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Desert Bistro...Moab, UT
06-16-2014, 02:32 PM
Desert Bistro...Moab, UT
Exceedingly well crafted, and perfectly balanced(both texturally and flavor profile wise) meals in Moab UT?

A resounding YEP!

Edward Abbey would have been appalled at the idea of fine cuisine in "his" desert. I, on the other hand, was thoroughly delighted.

Black bean hummus gyoza with smoky/spicy chipotle sauce and carrot slaw. There's a wine glass in the pic, but I paired it with an ice cold Pilsner on tap. Perfect!
[Image: food250_zps3cfe2678.jpg]

Grilled Monchong with brown rice pancake, asparagus, and tomato/leek/lime sauce.
[Image: food249_zpsb06a516c.jpg]

The service was exactly what one would expect from a high end establishment...unobtrusive, yet highly knowledgeable when asked specific questions regarding the meal/preparation. The whole experience was outstanding...

And I also had an opportunity to experience my first ever Willamette Valley Pinot. On first pour the wine appeared extremely pale and watery...uh oh. But my fears were unfounded...the nose(pineapple/lychee/cedar pencil shavings), and the flavor(black cherry/forest floor) were absolutely wonderful. They make a great Pinot in your homeland Boom!
[Image: food251_zpscb58947e.jpg]

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-17-2014, 11:59 AM
RE: Desert Bistro...Moab, UT
Kinda thought you'd like the WV Pinots. Great wines up there, and I always seek those out first whenever I go to the wine shop. I just love the flavors and the aromas and to me they are some of the better pinots you can buy, but thats just my opinion. Not that I am biased or anything Big GrinBig Grin

I'll put that vintage on my look for list.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-18-2014, 09:38 PM
Talked to the vino shop yesterday. They do NOT have Eyrie on their list. Infact that vineyard does not sell to Iowa at all, but he was going to chase it down and see what they could do for me. It might pan out or might not, but I do know they sell to Illinois shops, so I might get lucky there.

I need a wine rack!!!

06-25-2014, 02:32 PM
I hear ya man...

The constant shuffling and re-shuffling of wine in my little GE Profile can be a real PIA(52 bottle capacity my a**!). The difficult decisions re which wines *need* to be laid down vs which wines *should* be laid down. Whatever you do don't fall into the cheapo wine cellar trap. Those $200 60 bottle cellars generally wind up being $200 wine racks.

1st world problems though, I suppose.Blush

Hope you find the Eyrie and enjoy it as much as I did!

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
06-27-2014, 07:13 AM
I have been .... "collecting"... a few bottles of the grape since our earlier discussions. I have found a couple I like but I am trying to keep my hands off until I can get some different varieties. Unfortunately right now all my vino needs to be laid down properly, and right now - it isnt. I've had some help, but now I need to find a proper storage unit or rack for it all.

06-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Boomer, I would say to check out your local 2nd hand stores, Goodwills or St. Vinny's. You might find a few different types of racks to try at a lower $$ to the pocket book until you decided what will work best for you.
I keep dreaming that someday to have a cellar like a certain Polka Trio bass player.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic