Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Brewer's Ponderosa Lodge...Ponderosa, CA
08-08-2014, 11:41 AM
Brewer's Ponderosa Lodge...Ponderosa, CA
After the adrenaline rush of making it through that lightning storm going over Sherman Pass I was spent, hungry, and alarmingly low on fuel due to a miscalculation. Decided to fuel Marge and myself up at the Ponderosa Lodge. Upon arrival it soon became apparent that gas is no longer avail here (uh oh), but the Lodge is still cranking out the beer, spirits, and a pretty decent plate of grub. Nothing fancy, but if'n you're hungry enough to eat the *** out of a dead rhino it'll do just fine.

Gigantic club sammich, a side of fries(which were excellent), and 3 huge glasses of iced tea.
[Image: food258_zps9da7f607.jpg]

I really, really, really enjoyed the vibe here. It was soooo nice I was --->this<--- close to acquiring a room and spending the rest of the day holding the bar up. The doors were open and a pleasantly cool breeze was blowing through the place...huge, black storm cells were imposing themselves between the sun and third rock, creating a lovely flat light/brilliant sunshine effect that I really enjoyed. Cool/funky 1970's tunes in the background. Yep, I could have spent the afternoon there quite easily.Sleepy

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2014, 09:32 PM
RE: Brewer's Ponderosa Lodge...Ponderosa, CA
Looks like quite a sandwich, and quite an experience. I like the big black storm cells part, although I'm sure they weren't encouraging you to leave. What did you do about fuel? Get a few strong drinks and pour them in the tank? Wink
08-09-2014, 09:13 AM
RE: Brewer's Ponderosa Lodge...Ponderosa, CA
I had two things in my favor...
1. Springville isn't too far from Ponderosa, and it's pretty much all downhill.

2. I carry a small(half liter) fuel cell good for about 20mi or so. It had been sitting in my pannier for a couple years and smelled more of dead dinosaur than gasoline, but Marge isn't picky in that regard.

On a side note, zee Germans sure know how to jangle one's nerves. The ECU is programed to start flashing warning lights and a little fuel icon when the tank is nearly depleted. It's like: "I know, I know! Geez!!!"...

I guess the takeaway here is...while tooling through Kennedy Meadows in the pouring rain and spying overpriced and low octane fuel for sale at the general store...stop and throw a couple gallons in the tank ya knucklehead!

To ask why we cook is to ask why the leaves fall...