Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Saint Paul, MN (August 27th, 2010)
05-19-2010, 01:54 PM
Saint Paul, MN (August 27th, 2010)
For anyone going to the show in Saint Paul, you're already at a GREAT venue for ALL KINDS of food. The MN State Fair is known for it's wide variety of food. Pretty much everything from porkchop on a stick to deep fried Snickers on a stick and just about anything else on as stick you and think of (and then some!). Truly some of the best food that make Bubba proud!

The MN State Fair is located on Snelling Ave between Minnesota Hwy 36 and Interstate 94. There's a few restaurants in the area. Mostly smaller mom & pop shops as I recall. Then, there's a large amount of fast foods and chains a little ways north on Snelling. Just some off the top of my head:

McDonald's
KFC
Outback
Old Chicago
Buffalo Wild Wings
Perkins

Pretty much what you'd find in most areas. If you're staying in the Roseville area (about 5 miles north), you have a bigger variety such as Potbelly, Chipotle, Noodles, Granite City, Khan's Mongolian Barbeque, Fudrucker's, etc. If you're in the area, I would recommend Granite City or Khan's.

If you're feeling a little adventurous and want to travel some, there's a couple of good restaurants in Minneapolis:

Chino Latino
Kerian's (Downtown Minneapolis)
Black Forest
Dakota Jazz Club (upscale place with appropriate setting and prices. not a smokey joint with "atmosphere" like I initially thought)

In downtown Saint Paul:

Great Waters
Saint Paul Bar & Grill
Babani's Kurdish Restaurant

There's a large number of places to eat and hopefully others will pitch in with more suggestions.

There's some great pubs to in downtown Saint Paul:

The Bulldog
Alary's
Great Waters (micro brewery)
Granite City (brew their own too, smaller midwest chain)

For hotels, if you're coming in to the airport, I'd recommend any of the ones in Bloomington as it would allow you to get to the airport quicker. Also, you're right next to the Mall of America...

Otherwise, I would think many of the ones in Roseville (Holiday Inn, Marriott, etc.) just north of Hwy 36 on I35 is about a 10 minute drive (more like 30 if it's when the Fair lets out). One very nice hotel is The Saint Paul hotel. It's in downtown Saint Paul and is where Presidents and other politicians, foreign dignitaries and other well knowns stay (wonder if that's where the boys stayed when they came through last time and played at the Xcel?? Hmm..). Otherwise, the Embassy Suites on the NE part of Downtown Saint Paul is nice too.

As I think of more, I'll post up further info and update this post with links for anyone who might be interested.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-24-2010, 08:52 PM
RE: Saint Paul, MN (August 27th, 2010)
ForceTen - can you post some hotels that are close by? I may be on the Harley for the concert, and do not want to be too far from a hotel as my wife and daughter are spending the day at the Mall and will most likely be too tired to pick up dear old dad here.

Thanks!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-26-2010, 08:39 AM
Hi Boomer, sure. Here's a Google search:

Hotels around the MN State Fair
08-09-2010, 11:22 AM
A little more than two weeks away. Was at the State Fairgrounds yesterday riding bicycle with my training group. VERY different view when there's no one around compared to when the State Fair is in full swing.
08-11-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey FT
Got a question - is The DownTowner Cafe still open? I was there years ago, actually stumbled on it while out for a morning walk. We were at the Childrens Hospital over in St Paul visiting my brother in law who just had a heart attack. As we walked by we noticed about 6 squad cars parked out front, which is usually the best sign to us out of towners.

08-11-2010, 08:55 PM
I'm not sure. But, a quick search comes up with this:

http://www.downtownerwoodfire.com

I'm in St. Paul a time or two a week so can drive past and see.
08-13-2010, 03:09 PM
(08-11-2010 08:55 PM)ForceTen Wrote:  I'm not sure. But, a quick search comes up with this:

http://www.downtownerwoodfire.com

I'm in St. Paul a time or two a week so can drive past and see.

Thats not it. All I can tell you for sure is that its only a few blocks from Childrens Hospital, and its more of a diner than anything else. The food is just outstanding, but I just wish I could remember exactly where it is.

Oh well. I am sure when we are up there my wife might remember. If I dont turn the wrong way down one of those one way streets they have!!!Angel