Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
The cycling thread
07-06-2011, 11:23 AM
RE: The cycling thread
(07-06-2011 10:18 AM)Detroit Dan Wrote:  
(07-06-2011 10:13 AM)Rey Wrote:  
(07-06-2011 09:22 AM)Detroit Dan Wrote:  Wait... 3 miles up then 3 miles down, then do it again. That's only 12 miles. What a rip!

Yes, maybe, but you are supposed to do it immediately after consuming a very large spaghetti meal, and not lose your lunch, there is the challenge.

Sign US up. Smile

Oh, you mean...well, ahem, I am more of an armchair iron man myself, not that I couldn't, mind you, its just that, well, uh, I have to be going now, see you later, and good luck (is there any of that spaghetti left?).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-11-2012, 12:17 PM
Is anyone watching the Tour de France? I love the month of July because this is on!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-11-2012, 12:47 PM
(07-11-2012 12:17 PM)Holly Wrote:  Is anyone watching the Tour de France? I love the month of July because this is on!

I'm addicted to it, and have been since Greg Lemond's victory over Laurent Fignon -- that dates me.

(Plus this year, I'm the directrice sportif for the parallel spin-along event The Tour de Fleece on Ravelry.)

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
07-11-2012, 01:00 PM
(07-11-2012 12:47 PM)knitterbookbinder Wrote:  
(07-11-2012 12:17 PM)Holly Wrote:  Is anyone watching the Tour de France? I love the month of July because this is on!

I'm addicted to it, and have been since Greg Lemond's victory over Laurent Fignon -- that dates me.

(Plus this year, I'm the directrice sportif for the parallel spin-along event The Tour de Fleece on Ravelry.)

Tour de Fleece! I love it! :-)

On my cable channel they play the day's stage over and over again all day, and I play hooky and watch it over and over again! I need to get to work!
07-11-2012, 01:27 PM (This post was last modified: 07-11-2012 03:55 PM by Nung.)
Yes, I very much enjoy Le Tour. I have "watched" it since the mid 1970's. No, not on television...American television didn't show anything then. I would eagerly await Velonews (it was basically a newspaper back then) on the news stands to read about the race. You really had to dig back then to find any news at all. It wasn't until the mid 80's that ABC started to show some quick coverage on Wild World of Sports. And then we had to put up with all the boxing and other crap to see our 15 minutes of cycling. The race eventually ended up on ESPN...generally 30 minutes per day. The big break was when Outdoor Life Network picked it up. Of course, it was always difficult to really get any details with one's 13" TV and the bobbing motorbike video! When High Def coverage started a few years ago I was amazed to find out that those colorful blurry blobs on the road where actually cyclists! Smile

Any coverage is great and I very much enjoy Phil, Paul and Bobbie Roll but I just do not understand the (various) networks' insistence on having a steadily revolving door of idiots behind microphones that clearly have little awareness of cycling. The boys can do a fine job all on their own. As well, NBC sports has increased the already excessive amount of "recaps" and promo sections during the coverage. The sport is exciting on its own; they don't need to manufacture endless drama with high dollar graphics, fast editing, and montages. Why do they feel that they need to show a commercial for the coverage WITHIN the coverage?

J u s t s h o w t he d a m n r a c e.

And of course, like almost all sports, the pagentry and results are marred to a large degree by the excessive doping and ensuing media hulabaloo. It has always been a part of the sport unfortunately but in "the good old days" it was largely only speed.

But I am a cycle romantic so I still watch...after a nice long ride I love to come home and flip the TV on to hear Phil excitedly describe someone "lighting the blue touch paper!"

Viva Le Tour de France!

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
07-11-2012, 01:30 PM

I absolutely love cycling, I went on a very enjoyable ride yesterday down some area country roads, but I keep forgetting it is considered a competitive sport. I tend not to watch any professional sports on television. Although I did see a clip on youtube of some bicycle races, not sure which one, and there were these spectators dressed as religious figures who would come out and run with the cyclists. One was dressed like the pope with a really tall hat, jogging along. And another guy dressed like a priest was running along side the cyclists dipping his wand in holy water and waving it at them trying to bless them. Absolutely hysterical! If there is a lot of that I might just tune in.
07-11-2012, 01:45 PM
(07-11-2012 01:30 PM)Rey Wrote:  

I absolutely love cycling, I went on a very enjoyable ride yesterday down some area country roads, but I keep forgetting it is considered a competitive sport. I tend not to watch any professional sports on television. Although I did see a clip on youtube of some bicycle races, not sure which one, and there were these spectators dressed as religious figures who would come out and run with the cyclists. One was dressed like the pope with a really tall hat, jogging along. And another guy dressed like a priest was running along side the cyclists dipping his wand in holy water and waving it at them trying to bless them. Absolutely hysterical! If there is a lot of that I might just tune in.

LOL @ Rey. That was probably the Tour de France, though they do that in other races as well. I am dying to get out on the bike. I went last weekend but only about 20 miles. Last year I was doing lots of 100 mile rides and did the AIDS/Lifecycle ride from San Francisco to Los Angeles, but I am not in that kind of condition right now. I need to get back out there!
07-18-2012, 10:09 AM
I have a triathlon tonight. The bike is ready to go!

I eat, therefor I am.

2011 Ironman Lake Placid - Finisher
07-18-2012, 10:28 AM
(07-18-2012 10:09 AM)Detroit Dan Wrote:  I have a triathlon tonight. The bike is ready to go!

Good luck, Dan! Have fun! Post some pictures for us.

I just ordered a Garmin Edge 800 Bundle bike computer. I can't wait to get it! I got it free with my AMEX points. Otherwise, I don't think I could afford it right now. They go for about $600. It has GPS, a heart rate monitor, and lots of other geeky goodies!

Holly