Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Fellow Insomniacs?
08-30-2010, 07:17 PM
RE: Fellow Insomniacs?
Yes, the point of surrender...

I went about two months without sleep the first year I took on this crazy work. I fought it and was confounded as I never had trouble sleeping before. Part of it was learning to leave the worries at the office for the next day. The other part was surrendering to it when it would happen. I'd be tired the next day but content that I'd sleep like a baby the following night as long as I didn't take a nap later in the day. Sometimes when it happens I get up in spite of it and have a bowl of cereal or something. Inevitably I'm able to go back to bed and salvage part of the night. "The point of surrender, the point of the journey." I like that.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-31-2010, 11:06 AM
I am not an insomniac at all! I am in bed by 10:30, I watch my nightly "Two and a Half Men" after the evening news, and its lights out. And I snore like a grizzly bear, or so my wife tells me anyways. Sleepy

I have pulled some all nighters, but its usually when friends are in town or I am doing some sort of astronomical pursuit. Our astronomy club found a pizza place that will DELIVER to our observatory at midnight, and that really keeps us going into the wee hours of observing. My wife thinks I am a lunatic, but I quietly in my own, reserved, shy way, remind her she married me that way.Tongue

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
09-01-2010, 01:23 AM
Well, I'm officially back on the non-sleeping track. My usual routine: Bed by 8:30 - which would seem early except that I have to be up by 5am, plus my son goes to bed around 7:00 and it's usually not worth it to stay awake and try to keep quiet.

Awake sometime during the night, tonight it was 12:30am.

Usually spend 2-3 hours up, then back to sleep for however long, usually oversleep by about 1/2 hour. Then I'm running and crazy and late to everything. Then I spend my day in a zombified state of mind.

Ergh. Menopause should be a covered disability.
Find all posts by this user
09-01-2010, 10:01 AM
(09-01-2010 01:23 AM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  Well, I'm officially back on the non-sleeping track. My usual routine: Bed by 8:30 - which would seem early except that I have to be up by 5am, plus my son goes to bed around 7:00 and it's usually not worth it to stay awake and try to keep quiet.

Awake sometime during the night, tonight it was 12:30am.

Usually spend 2-3 hours up, then back to sleep for however long, usually oversleep by about 1/2 hour. Then I'm running and crazy and late to everything. Then I spend my day in a zombified state of mind.

Ergh. Menopause should be a covered disability.

I am really not looking forward to that time of my life. I don't think that my husband will give me disability for not getting the housework done due to "the change". So far, the only thing that I've learned from watching other family members go through it, is to dress in light layers (my aunt wore sweaters a lot and was always trying to air herself out).

I rarely can do all-nighters anymore. If my husband wants to go to a party or concert in Portland, then we'll do that and drive home in the wee hours of the morning. Then we pay for it for nearly a week. The things I could do at 20, are not the things I can do at 41 (at least not as often)

A party without cake is really just a meeting
09-10-2010, 10:37 PM
FZBL!!! YOU UP???

hehehehehehe.....

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
09-11-2010, 02:27 AM
It's nearly 1:30AM and I'm only awake because my husby and I were having a date night and the movie started late, and let us out late, and then my daughter texted me, asking if we could stop at a store and pick up some Reeses Puffs. Then we came home and heard about her evening babysitting her brother. Then my husband set up the new monitor for my computer, and even though I'm really sleepy, I'm online, replying to threads and seeing how my pictures look on this wider screen. No insomnia here, I'm just pushing myself a bit.

09-11-2010, 01:11 PM
(09-11-2010 02:27 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  It's nearly 1:30AM and I'm only awake because my husby and I were having a date night and the movie started late, and let us out late, and then my daughter texted me, asking if we could stop at a store and pick up some Reeses Puffs. Then we came home and heard about her evening babysitting her brother. Then my husband set up the new monitor for my computer, and even though I'm really sleepy, I'm online, replying to threads and seeing how my pictures look on this wider screen. No insomnia here, I'm just pushing myself a bit.

Ok, why are you really up? What's the real deal?
Something like this perhaps?

It was a great day, great movie. We stopped at a gas station and the urge came over me. I have been supressing this urge for years but I can't take it anymoreAngry
I need to steal something! And so does my honey! But he already stole a computer earlier in the day. Woops, ok so we didn't really even go to a movie. But anyway Ahhh there is some reeses.
"ALL systems alert (cracks over the loud speaker) lady with the Rash shirt took a reeses and is running south on Henway Blvd.
Bam....tackled by the GSSB that's gas station security bureau for mere civilians.
In custody and off to processing for a new photo.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
09-11-2010, 01:17 PM
(09-11-2010 01:11 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  
(09-11-2010 02:27 AM)Bageleth Wrote:  It's nearly 1:30AM and I'm only awake because my husby and I were having a date night and the movie started late, and let us out late, and then my daughter texted me, asking if we could stop at a store and pick up some Reeses Puffs. Then we came home and heard about her evening babysitting her brother. Then my husband set up the new monitor for my computer, and even though I'm really sleepy, I'm online, replying to threads and seeing how my pictures look on this wider screen. No insomnia here, I'm just pushing myself a bit.

Ok, why are you really up? What's the real deal?
Something like this perhaps?

It was a great day, great movie. We stopped at a gas station and the urge came over me. I have been supressing this urge for years but I can't take it anymoreAngry
I need to steal something! And so does my honey! But he already stole a computer earlier in the day. Woops, ok so we didn't really even go to a movie. But anyway Ahhh there is some reeses.
"ALL systems alert (cracks over the loud speaker) lady with the Rash shirt took a reeses and is running south on Henway Blvd.
Bam....tackled by the GSSB that's gas station security bureau for mere civilians.
In custody and off to processing for a new photo.

LOL! Sure, that's what really happened!

That definitely sounds more exciting than the night I had. You left out my lifting of nail polish from the mall too!

Do you write fiction on a regular basis?

09-11-2010, 01:43 PM
I knew you'd like thatSmile

haha, fables? Just a tired mind really.

Don't talk smack about Total!!
09-11-2010, 05:35 PM
(09-11-2010 01:43 PM)Neilbubbachuck Wrote:  I knew you'd like thatSmile

haha, fables? Just a tired mind really.

I have another late night tonight too, as my husby wants to go to a karaoke bar. So my tired mind might be back tonight when we come back home.Tongue