Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
04-14-2012, 05:30 PM
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
Only thing I want in my glass is whisky...whisky......and MORE whisky.

Rocks are for skipping on the lake.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-14-2012, 05:32 PM
(04-14-2012 05:30 PM)boomer Wrote:  Only thing I want in my glass is whisky...whisky......and MORE whisky.

Amen to that!
04-14-2012, 06:49 PM
(04-14-2012 05:32 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  
(04-14-2012 05:30 PM)boomer Wrote:  Only thing I want in my glass is whisky...whisky......and MORE whisky.

Amen to that!

LOL. Indeed!

----
I'm not one to believe in magic, but I sometimes have a second-sight....
Find all posts by this user
04-16-2012, 10:02 AM
Yes...they are very available at most stores. I have never tried them but the feedback on the Forums varies from positve to negative. The most intriguing negative comments had to do with the fact that it was difficult to get to the last few drops of one's whisky because of their weight: some folks were worried that they would come crashing into their teeth should they tip the glass too much in the attempt to get the last sip.

"I don't cook; I prepare things." My late brother Bill
05-02-2012, 06:31 PM
It's been awhile, so I had another wee dram of my Bunnahabhain 1997 tonight as a reward for getting most of my packing-up done.

At 46%, it really does want a bit of water (41 deg. F, according to the monitor on the fridge) in it, but after consuming, um, far too much cheap blended stuff of late, a single-malt of this stature really shines.

I'd have another one, but one is quite enough, thank you. Looking forward to doing another side-by-side tasting with the 30-year-old Talisker tomorrow!

----
05-03-2012, 01:28 AM
I posted here a while ago about some friends I have who once they have opened a single malt and had a glass cannot stop until they have had the lot...I feel for them a bit that they are driven by their need, I also feel for me that I am so driven and disciplined that I would stop myself......after a couple. Not sure which is the worse.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
05-03-2012, 08:43 AM
(05-03-2012 01:28 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  I posted here a while ago about some friends I have who once they have opened a single malt and had a glass cannot stop until they have had the lot...I feel for them a bit that they are driven by their need, I also feel for me that I am so driven and disciplined that I would stop myself......after a couple. Not sure which is the worse.

A pub I used to frequent had a Scotch passport programme many years ago: you got a list of the 40 different single-malts they offered and drank one of each. When you were done, you got your name on a plaque and a lovely glass. I found I really couldn't do more than two at a sitting and appreciate the nuances.

Cheap swill, at least for me however.... I think it becomes "I'm going to drink this nasty stuff until it doesn't taste like paint thinner anymore."

----
05-03-2012, 09:45 AM
What astounds me is the delightful variation of single malts. With each one I sample, I see the obvious differences yet paradoxically, I understand the underlying similarities and unifying, shared elements. They are all Scotch but they can be so different. It reminds me of hearing a new piece by a favorite composer in that I hear the signature elements of the composer's "voice" yet I delight in the newness of the latest expression.

05-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Have you seen this?
http://www.themacallan.com/the-range/lal...ue#/range/
Just beatiful!

Bake Dat B*tch!!!

[Image: baconfish.jpg]
05-08-2012, 12:15 PM
I tried a new one the other night that was a bit off the beaten path. It is the Shieldaig 18 YO and apparently is only available through Total Wine. At only $40 I knew it would be terrible or a great bargain. Once home (but before tasting it) I checked it out on line. I only found one review (by a blogger, not a main-stream Whisky site) and he hammered it: 31 out of 100. He said it tasted like bubble-gum. Hmmm...
Needless to say my expectations were quite low but actually I really enjoyed it. A FABULOUS nose and the taste was almost as good. Quite complex with lots of lovely fruit and flowers. (no real smoke/peat though).
If anyone else tries it I'd appreciate a review.

Happy dramming!