Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
04-23-2011, 01:16 AM
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
(04-21-2011 06:10 AM)boomer Wrote:  Its not the quantity, its the quality. Always remember that with whisky. Scotch has flavors I learn about with every dram and every tasting. As with you the longer it ages the better it is, as in the Dalwhinnie or the Balvenie - both 15 year malts are considerably smoother and better. Like wine it gets better with time. But - where scotch whisky shines, Irish whiskey is a bit more harsh on the palatte, but I will have to try a sampling of your suggestion.

I was stationed in Scotland for a couple years. I went to a couple of the distilleries and found that the Highlands appealed to me the best, but at 21 my palatte had not "learned" how to really taste, so I will return and try again in a couple years. Just curious - did you ever make it to the military tattoo at the castle in Edinburgh?

No, unfortunately we did not. Though we managed to squeeze a lot in for our brief stay, we still want to go back for stuff we missed. Hubby says to tell you that the Tullamore is smoother than most Irish whiskys.

It's interesting that you mention your young palate... our 18-yr-old daughter wasn't as impressed with the Highland whiskey. She preferred the Lowlands. But she's not a big drinker anyway. Her favorites, when she did have a drink, were O'Carrolan's Irish Creme which we discovered in Belfast and the Magnar's Hard Cider.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Scythe Matters - 04-23-2011 01:16 AM