Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
04-26-2011, 01:08 PM (This post was last modified: 04-26-2011 01:16 PM by dheafey.)
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
(04-26-2011 11:46 AM)NWoBHM Wrote:  It all seems a bit too scientific for me...Buy bottle, open, pour in glass, drink - repeat as necessary until you fall over. That is my approach - I know Boomer I am a Heathen Sassinak.

I tend to agree, NW. I do think a good glass makes a difference, but I don't stand too much on ceremony. A paper cup will do in a pinch.

The name of the book is "Whiskey: A Fascinating Journey Through the Most Famous Whiskeys and Distilleries Worldwide", by Marc A. Hoffmann. It's not the best I've seen as it's a bit dated (2007), but for 4 bucks, what can you expect? I found The World's Best Whiskies, by Dominic Roskrow, more informative and a better read. It's also pretty current, published Nov, 2010.
(04-26-2011 11:25 AM)smoker guy Wrote:  Sounds like a cool book for sure. I have a question, what is the difference between cask strength and regular single malt? Is it stronger, and if so why?

Many whiskies are typically diluted with water to bring down the ABV (alcohol by volume) to a level more palatable to the masses. Cask strength whiskies are bottled without diluting, thus making them stronger and more expensive to boot (there's less to go around). Barrel to bottle, basically.

I rarely dilute even cask strength whiskies because I believe that "hotness" to be part of the overall experience. I'm probably missing out on some of the aroma and taste, but I can live with it. During a 2 week wait to have some decayed wisdom teeth extracted, I got fairly used to 126 proof Bookers single barrel bourbon. Talk about jet fuel.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 04-26-2011 01:08 PM