Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
05-20-2011, 04:26 PM
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
Islays by their very nature are a hard whisky to get used to. You either don't like them or you do its that simple. Some islays....such as Ardbeg, just scream a swampy taste, but Laphroiag one of the most popular Islays, is filled with peat and other flavors that either please or dont please. One other member likened Laphroaig to being hit by a dump truck of peat. Macallan, to me, is quite a bit lighter, and can carry flavors such as sherry that you may or may not find attractive. I enjoy the Macallan - I have been thru two bottles in one year, so I do like its qualities. I also enjoy others, such as Balvenie and Dalwhinnie, which has some honey overtones to it. Of all the whiskys I have sampled so far, The Balvenie 15 yr is about my favorite. I don't know that its going to make much difference how you try Macallan, though. If your palatte didn't approve the first time, the second time won't get much better IMHO.

A coworker of mine told me that usually the first bottle you try will set the tone for what your preference may be. In my case I dont know that that is completely accurate, rather I believe what your palatte tells you decides. I am in the process of reading a book on whiskys - it helps to learn about some of the lesser known malts just in the off chance you get a chance to grab a bottle up you might know what you are buying!

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - Boomer - 05-20-2011 04:26 PM