Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
06-11-2011, 06:33 AM
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night
Ok, Boomer's "chastised" me for my dislike of Laphroaig, so I thought I would reacquaint myself with this ultimate expression of peaty/smoky. I took a friend, a wine snob just getting into the world of whisk(e)y, to a local eatery that stocks a few dozen good single malts. Guess what was on the list?

Laphroaig 10 YO - I have affectionately described this as eating a wet, wool mitten. As I've become old, fat, and balding my tastebuds have changed. It's not as overpoweringly peaty as I not so fondly remembered from my youth. However, my wingman and I both agreed that Laphroaig takes work to enjoy. I don't exactly know how to explain it, but you have to pay attention as there's so much going on. It lingers for a LONG time.

Talisker - It's been a while since I had this and I quickly remembered why I liked it so much. It's extremely easy to drink, not leaning too far in any one direction. It's thick and chewy without being overpowering. The finish is light and airy.

Balvenie Portwood 21 - Ridiculously good. Scotch shouldn't be this good. At $130 USD per bottle, it's a decadence you don't enjoy too often, but it's nice to treat oneself every now and again. It's easily on par with The Macallan 18 YO.

Hennessey VSOP - Yeah I know, this is Cognac, but at my buddy's behest, we sampled a dram. Fine stuff and cheap as all get out - $45 USD. I am a convert.

Out of the 4 samples, I will actively seek a bottle of Talisker and Hennessey VSOP. I haven't given up on Laphroaig, however. I may not go there often, but who knows - everything gets better with age. Maybe my tastebuds will as well.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Had my first "Measure of the Macallan" last night - dheafey - 06-11-2011 06:33 AM