Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
What Do You Miss?
11-24-2010, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 11-24-2010 01:26 PM by Mufasa.)
What Do You Miss?
Being sick does have one advantage; plenty of time to reflect.
This is also known as extreme boredom.
Anyhoo - during one of these bouts of "reflection"... I was listening to a streaming broadcast of my favorite radio station out of Savannah, Q105.3.
I grew up listening to the general manager and two other DJs that now work for the Q. Brady McGraw, Lyndy Brannen and Jerry Rogers. They have been on the air locally for more than 100 years combined, and the Q has been successful for close to twenty years now.

When I was a kid (70s), there was only one rock station in Savannah; 140 WSGA / AM. They were the source - there was no other until FM took over.
These two DJs decided to form a no-nonsense radio station that spent most of its time playing music. What a concept, eh?
Communications (worldwide and local) was very limited then, and Chet Huntley/David Brinkley on NBC Nightly News was the world update source.
The ending theme song was Bethovens 9th. Imagine not being able to whip up Google to see what that cool song was... Google would come 28 years from then, so for years I wondered what the song was, and what the rest of the symphony sounded like.

SO! With that long-winded entro, I give you (and ask your contribution)
THINGS I MISS: (in no particular order)

* Being able to see the ocean from my bedroom window - just being near the ocean.

* The trials, discoveries, drama, heartbreak, joy, success and epic failures of being a pre-teen and a teenager.

* Boston (the band)

* Having very little responsibility. There was never a time that I can recall when I was not responsible for "something".

* Friends that always seemed to locate one another no matter where we were - without cell phones, text, Facebook or Twitter! (how did we do it?)

* Bones that had never been broken (want a list?)

* 80s music videos - that was such a crazy, new time for making vids.
Not just a party with a pack of thugs flashing weapons, money and semi-nude hos.

* Friends that have left the earth, far too soon.

* Parachute pants!

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-24-2010, 03:00 PM
RE: What Do You Miss?
Things I miss:
  • My grandparents
  • My first girlfriend's dad, Jim, lost to stomach cancer at 52
  • Working for pocket money, not for food/mortgage etc.
  • Being in excellent physical shape without having to go to a gym
  • Playing drums without my right shoulder acting up (had to give up drums completely after a brutal A/C separation)

Things I don't miss one bit:
  • High school
  • Teenage cliques and drama
  • Acne
  • My first car. Total piece of junk. Should have loved it. Hated it.
  • AM radio

Mufasa, heal well and quickly, my friend.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
11-24-2010, 06:22 PM
My mom, though I spent much of my life wishing she were gone. Thank god I met my significant whatever, who helped me repair that relationship the last 5 years she was alive. She was mentally ill, and I always hated her for it, until he helped me to realize she could not help it. She died of lung cancer last December, so we're coming up on the one year anniversary. I'm doing OK with it, but my hugest regret is that my son won't even remember her. I also miss the close relationship I had with my siblings. We used to talk on the phone daily (five of us), and the WHOLE family got together at least once a week. We sorta fell apart after she died. I just don't have any family left, it seems.

And this is why my nickname is the Over-Sharer.

Beyond that, I miss having time for the gym (or being able to afford it), my 1968 Mustang (huge piece of crap, but my first car - loved that thing!), and having a clean house. Somehow I can't keep up with two male humans and two male pets who seem intent on leaving a mess in their wake with every bloody step they take...
11-24-2010, 06:43 PM
(11-24-2010 06:22 PM)Laffitupfzbl Wrote:  Somehow I can't keep up with two male humans and two male pets who seem intent on leaving a mess in their wake with every bloody step they take...
That's our job. It's in the MANual, pg 36, second paragraph. "Thou shalt deposit, cause to be strewn, and otherwise shambilize the dwelling in which though shalst live."

I know, it's sounds sort of biblilcal, but it was written a long time ago.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." - Mark Twain
11-24-2010, 06:57 PM
"Go forth ... and multiply... laundry"?

11-24-2010, 07:28 PM
I didn't realize that there was a MANual. That could be a thread all on it's own. Filled with all sorts of "Revelations".

Laff, I think it's a girl thing to "over share". The details are necessary Smile

What I miss the most is my mom as well. She passed away 10 months after I married and 3 months before my first child was born. I miss my aunt (her sister) as well. She passed away in that same year, six months after my mom. My mom, I think, may have had ADHD and possibly Aspergers (which would help explain a lot about my son) which did get on my nerves while growing up, however, she was one of the few who was totally thrilled to see me or get a call from me. My aunt was more like my older sister (she never had children of her own), like a pal. Thankfully, I was married when that all happened and I didn't have to deal with it alone, and the perk in that year was that I had a baby (who looks a lot like my mother).

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-24-2010, 08:13 PM
I miss my Grandma on my mother's side she passed away in the early spring of 2006. She's the one I generally will share my recipes from. I miss my little brother who passed away in a drowning accident in the summer of 1978. We were so very very close and at the time of his death I was in the north part of WISC with a friend and her family for a vacation.

I miss the innocence from the knowledge that foods of my youth can be deemed as deadly and totally unhealthy for you. Smile

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
11-25-2010, 10:31 AM
My moms cooking - all the time.
Holidays just have a hole in them now that she's unable to do all the things she used to.
Man, that woman could cook.

11-25-2010, 03:07 PM
Food which used to taste different when I was young, and no matter how much I try, and search around I cannot get that same beautiful flavour -
Beef Curry and fried rice from the Rooster, and Hing Tai - extra hot with red chili paste in the meat
Chichen Vindaloo and Pilau rice from the curry hut, and Anakarli
Mouton Cadet
Mouton Rothschild
Chili Con Carne
Video`s of Rambo which cost £29.99 (say $46.00) back in 1985
Pound Notes
The Eighties.........
Dad who died 1986......(I was 23)......he was 60.....a very clever Accountant (FCA) and Management Accountant (FCMA).......Would have loved his help doing the MBA!!
11-28-2010, 12:07 PM (This post was last modified: 11-28-2010 12:14 PM by Boomer.)
Ok - Mufasa told me about this thread whilst in my parents Castle De WhattheHell....In no particular order!

People

My paternal grandfather. Grandpa Red was a kick in the seat. He played semi pro football in his 20's and 30's, worked for Standard Oil for 35 years, retired, worked as a consultant, all with a left arm badly deformed from a bout with polio at the age of two. Always told me never let my dad make me believe he was always right, told me to get an education, always attneded my events as a kid including high school graduation. Always fair, but respected. When he died, these guys in black fedoras and ruby pinky rings showed up.....not sure who they were but pretty sure there was more to Grandpa than maybe we wanted to know.

Uncle Dale - He was a pirate! Really. He had this bushy red beard, had a Harley rat bike that I loved, never ordered me around like my parents, told me to go after my dreams and not let the folks push me around. Had an awesome recipe for hard cider that is legendary to this day, died of lung cancer in 2006.

Times

1970's - The music was totally righteous, especially when you consider the bands of that time. Led Zeppelin, The Eagles, Boston, and three guys from Canada who kicked absolute BOOTY! Just to name a few. It was also a bad time. Nixon, Viet Nam, the gas crunch.

Things

MTV - JJ Jackson, Nina Blackwood, real videos man those were some times. Cable tv was just coming into existence, and things lik e ESPN and CNN were big hits.
LP records - I do not care what anybody tells you - music just sounded better richer stronger on lps. Period. Turntables were just totally awesome if you got a good one and took care of it. Boom boxes - What is cooler than a big ol boom box on your shoulder? 8000 speakers and skateboards....whew that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy, although if I tried a skateboard today I might break my neck.
No cell phones. There was a time boys n girls where we DIDNT have cell phones. I miss that.
Crawdads - I used to go down to the creek by my brothers school and look for crawdads for fishing. One time I caught a huge tadpole, about the size of my fist. Then we would take the bait and go fishing and catch fish for hours. Fishing is another love I miss.
Camaros - Remember when you could actually WORK on your car? Now you need a team of brain surgeons to figger out whats wrong with your car!
Reading - Working two jobs has made me miss a lot of things, but one of my fav things to do at night was to read. Now I just go upstairs and collapse in my bed.

Other odds n ends
Dale Earnhardt - Yeah I am a race monkey. There was a time when I was a kid where Mario Andretti, Richard Petty, AJ Foyt were my heros. Eventually I enjoyed the passions of other drivers, but Dale Earnhardt stood out. Not for what he did on track, but rather who he was OFF track. He was driven to succeed, and people like that are totally cool to me. Now its just an overblown business, but when Dale was alive, he was driven to be the best.
Bands - Boston, Led Zeppelin, Thin Lizzy, Molly Hatchett just to name a few. Boston is probably the biggest on my list, because when they made music, they really MADE music!
Movies - Remember movies like "Krull" and "Excalibur"? Totally cool movies that were just off the radar but totally cool. Some of those movies are still around, but a few weeeks ago I tried to make my kids watch 'Krull" - and they were bored with it. WHAT THE.....?
John Wayne - Nuff said.

Current things I miss:
The ocean. I hate being landlocked. Hate it.
Time alone. I love my kids, I enjoy my business partner, but just when my wife and I find a few minutes of freedom, whammo!!
Respect. Kids nowadays have no clue what that means. I can walk thru my daughters high school, and kids are using language to teachers that my dad would have taken me out to the woodshed for. They act so badly and dress so badly I hardly recognize the good kids any more. They exist but their existence is slowly being shoved aside by the lunatic fringe.
Customer Service. I dont even think this needs expounding on.

I am sure I missed something but thats the short list.

One of my biggest things I miss: playing music. Not just listening, but playing music.

Primary Principle - "It must NEVER be my fault"