Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Best Coffees??
03-25-2011, 11:50 PM
RE: Best Coffees??
This smoking episode was bought and paid for by the Chock Full o'Nuts cafe here at the Beautiful Bar&Grill.

Smile

Don't talk smack about Total!!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-26-2011, 11:08 AM (This post was last modified: 03-26-2011 11:10 AM by Rey.)
Well, my first story was about coffee anyway, right on topic. Wink

(03-25-2011 01:10 PM)Bageleth Wrote:  Ugh! The last time that I had decaf, was about 8 years ago during a pregnancy. I might as well be drinking water. The flavor didn't even trick my mind into thinking that it was decaf. If I couldn't have coffee to keep me going.............I just don't know what I would do.
My SIL did have to stop drinking coffee for awhile, also due to a racing heart. She has just recently been able to start drinking it again, just not as much as she used to.

Well, Lori here, even though she can't have caffeine, still likes to hurry and hit the McDonalds drive thru and get a big decaf coffee in the morning on the way to the office. How messed up is that? But it just goes to show you, some like coffee for the flavor, and the warmth on a winters day, and not just for the drug.

That includes me. But I like the real coffee flavor, black, without any additives. She only likes it with all the sugar and cream. That is only coffee flavored kool-aid, I say!

-Rey
03-26-2011, 05:03 PM
Coffee =Mmmmmm any time of the day in our household. Say speaking of which I have a pot of Italian Roast bubbling away in the kitchen now.

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
03-27-2011, 11:42 AM
Mmmmm........I'm enjoying my first cup of that delicious beverage right now Big Grin

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-29-2011, 05:15 PM
Mmmmm...coffee! Can't do the day without it. I have a burr grinder, a pump driven espresso machine, a french press, and one of those three piece Italian stove top espresso pots. Coffee is the ritual that begins the day for me. I brew the press, fill my cup and a 17 oz thermal carafe, and go to work.

I really like Starbucks Komodo Dragon Blend. I miss a couple of others that are not currently available.

This small batch roaster is local, and only a few blocks away, so I can smell beans roasting on and off throughout the day. Camilla's Organic, Ernesto's Espresso, Mathilde's French Roast are all very good.

http://www.familyroast.com/shop/coffee.html
03-31-2011, 12:28 PM
I don't start the day with out a cup. Favorites? Not really, as long as it's high-test and not decaf, I'm happy. But I will note: I definitely 'need' a cup in the morning to get going and I'm good all day. As an after-dinner beverage I can drink up and then go right to bed afterwards. Weird.
04-09-2011, 11:04 AM
(03-29-2011 05:15 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  Mmmmm...coffee! Can't do the day without it. I have a burr grinder, a pump driven espresso machine, a french press, and one of those three piece Italian stove top espresso pots. Coffee is the ritual that begins the day for me. I brew the press, fill my cup and a 17 oz thermal carafe, and go to work.

I really like Starbucks Komodo Dragon Blend. I miss a couple of others that are not currently available.

This small batch roaster is local, and only a few blocks away, so I can smell beans roasting on and off throughout the day. Camilla's Organic, Ernesto's Espresso, Mathilde's French Roast are all very good.

http://www.familyroast.com/shop/coffee.html
I think the French Press is one of the more important "upgrades" I've made to my coffee drinking. Like you, it is my morning ritual and worth every bit of effort. It's become difficult to drink coffee from a coffee maker.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
04-09-2011, 07:31 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2011 07:33 PM by SpaceCadet.)
Starbucks, definitely. First off, there's that immediate warm, fuzzy feeling I get in knowing that drinking Starbucks' products pisses off random vestigial Leftists (Starbucks, in their opinion, was praise-worthy when it was a lone Mom-and-Pop shop amid the airborne fish at Pike Place Market; now that it's grown to four thousand locations per city block worldwide, it's somehow evil and worthy of the epithet "Starsucks?" Fascinating, Keptin. Economist George Reisman calls this "Platonic Competition": Everybody's supposed to compete, but nobody's supposed to win. Rolleyes But I digress...)

We have an impromptu Speed Freak Commune in the main lab I work in: I typically buy the beans; someone else has supplied the grinder (a Braun KSM2 is a model of efficient simplicity and the greatest in the world - look no further); someone else brought in a Brita pitcher and buys filters for it periodically, etc. There is a constant stream of moochers who wander in too, but we tolerate them for the comedic groveling.

I've settled on Starbucks' Pike Place beans - a great intersection of caffeine content (always the primary consideration,) and flavor. When you open up that bag and take a whiff it's intoxicating - like a North Dakota spring fever, only the smell is different; once I get it ground up and brewing, you can smell it all the way down the hall - which is another mitigating factor for the moochers: who can blame them?

Their just-released Anniversary blend is good too. I bought a small trial bag of it - which we plowed through in a single day - and it was very tasty. A little lighter than the Pike Place, but that could have something to do with my grinding. It's a bit of an art, which is part of the fun. If you get it too coarse you're wasting good beanage; if you get it too fine it's like espresso. I generally wind up with powder, and everybody's bouncing off the walls within an hour. YMMV.
04-12-2011, 08:31 PM
(04-09-2011 11:04 AM)dheafey Wrote:  I think the French Press is one of the more important "upgrades" I've made to my coffee drinking. Like you, it is my morning ritual and worth every bit of effort. It's become difficult to drink coffee from a coffee maker.
My guy used to swear by his Melitta cone-and-glass-pot system, and I drank that "coffee" for a year before I introduced him to the press. I mentioned it a few times, but since his kitchen isn't my kitchen, I was trying not to be too fussy about it. After about a year of that, I took my press and some correctly ground beans over to show him how easy it was to make really good coffee. He still uses a blade grinder, with varying rates of success, but he had a press the following weekend LOL

That's exactly why I invested in the burr grinder: I never could get the hang of a blade grinder. I make Turkish, espresso, and the press, and nothing is worse than not grinding your last portion of beans just right!
04-15-2011, 02:21 PM
(04-12-2011 08:31 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  
(04-09-2011 11:04 AM)dheafey Wrote:  I think the French Press is one of the more important "upgrades" I've made to my coffee drinking. Like you, it is my morning ritual and worth every bit of effort. It's become difficult to drink coffee from a coffee maker.
That's exactly why I invested in the burr grinder: I never could get the hang of a blade grinder. I make Turkish, espresso, and the press, and nothing is worse than not grinding your last portion of beans just right!

I use a blade grinder and was contemplating a burr grinder to get a more consistent grind. My B'day is right around the corner, so I think it's time for a little present for myself!

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers