Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Best Coffees??
04-15-2011, 06:59 PM
RE: Best Coffees??
(04-15-2011 02:21 PM)dheafey Wrote:  I use a blade grinder and was contemplating a burr grinder to get a more consistent grind. My B'day is right around the corner, so I think it's time for a little present for myself!

Mine is nearly 10 years old, and still grinds like the day it was new.
That would be a good present, and Happy Birthday Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2011, 09:26 AM
(04-15-2011 06:59 PM)Entre Nous Wrote:  Mine is nearly 10 years old, and still grinds like the day it was new.
That would be a good present, and Happy Birthday Smile

Thanks Entre Nous! I made an interesting purchase that I'm pretty happy with. While cruising Amazon for a Burr grinder, I discovered a hand crank version from Kyocera:

[Image: 313-VMeVPOL._SL500_AA300_.jpg]

It took a bit to dial in the grind courseness for my French Press, but so far I'm pretty happy with it and it doesn't wake the dead. I got mine for $45 including shipping and I see it's now $50 - that would've pushed me to look at a good electric one, I think.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
04-23-2011, 10:13 AM
Oooooo! that would be a great grinder for my husband to have at work. He has a French press coffee pot at work, however he's always had to grind the beans at home in the morning before going to work. An electric grinder at work would be too noisy. I'll have to look for one of these.

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-26-2011, 03:01 PM
Brilliant! Along with what Bageleth said about having one at the office, it looks like a good item to add to the camping gear, as well. Great find!
04-26-2011, 03:13 PM
One of our daughters works at Starbucks. She doesn't like coffee-go figure-so she gives us all the coffee she gets free as an employee. I think some of their coffee is over-roasted, but I like bold coffee. She turned us on to a French press. I don't know how we drank "coffee pot" coffee! Also, she makes me the BEST mochas of anyone, anywhere!
My husband wants a grinder. I saw dheafey mention the Braun, any other good burr grinders out there???

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
04-26-2011, 04:23 PM
(04-26-2011 03:13 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  One of our daughters works at Starbucks. She doesn't like coffee-go figure-so she gives us all the coffee she gets free as an employee. I think some of their coffee is over-roasted, but I like bold coffee. She turned us on to a French press. I don't know how we drank "coffee pot" coffee! Also, she makes me the BEST mochas of anyone, anywhere!
My husband wants a grinder. I saw dheafey mention the Braun, any other good burr grinders out there???

Starbucks carries some very good ones in-store and and your daughter can use her Partner discount on it for you. Wait until the annual Brewing Sale for an even better deal. I bought mine when I was a Store Mgr, years ago.
04-27-2011, 02:41 PM
Starbucks carries some very good ones in-store and and your daughter can use her Partner discount on it for you. Wait until the annual Brewing Sale for an even better deal. I bought mine when I was a Store Mgr, years ago.
[/quote]

Entre Nous-
That's what we thought too, but apparently, they stopped selling them. Sad

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
05-03-2011, 05:16 PM
(04-27-2011 02:41 PM)Gungawoman Wrote:  Entre Nous-
That's what we thought too, but apparently, they stopped selling them. Sad

I need to pay better attention when I buy beans. Didn't intend to give bad info Blush
07-07-2011, 05:36 PM
OK so I KNOW I am probably jaded but I do this for a living, such as it is. Having been a professional coffee roaster for more than a decade I can honestly say, there is no BEST coffee. IMHO. Some years we have great crops from some regions and origins and some years we don't. This year we have an AWESOME Brazilian Yellow Bourbon (Which is pronounced Boar-Bone...sorry fine whiskey connoisseurs) but the Kenya, Ethiopian and most East African crops are not cupping as well. Jury is still out on the Indonesians' (Sumatra, Java Celebes) but it looks good.
I am not a coffee snob, yet, but i do like to rotate what I drink and I love hearing what other people think of a certain coffee, because as I have learned in this business, its not what "I" like that sells, its what the consumer likes.
I read the post about traveling with different brewers and grinders. I have a Capresso Team Luxe (Grinder/Brewer combo)that is fit into an Anvil Road case that rides on my motorcycle when we travel....
As for the Starbucks thread I am very enthused that Howard Schultz came back to run the company and closed so many locations and cut the offerings way back. They lead my industry and i hope some higher quality coffee comes from his return as Chief.

The answer is....is....42
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-07-2011, 06:31 PM
(07-07-2011 05:36 PM)roaster Wrote:  OK so I KNOW I am probably jaded but I do this for a living, such as it is. Having been a professional coffee roaster for more than a decade I can honestly say, there is no BEST coffee. IMHO. Some years we have great crops from some regions and origins and some years we don't. This year we have an AWESOME Brazilian Yellow Bourbon (Which is pronounced Boar-Bone...sorry fine whiskey connoisseurs) but the Kenya, Ethiopian and most East African crops are not cupping as well. Jury is still out on the Indonesians' (Sumatra, Java Celebes) but it looks good.
I am not a coffee snob, yet, but i do like to rotate what I drink and I love hearing what other people think of a certain coffee, because as I have learned in this business, its not what "I" like that sells, its what the consumer likes.
I read the post about traveling with different brewers and grinders. I have a Capresso Team Luxe (Grinder/Brewer combo)that is fit into an Anvil Road case that rides on my motorcycle when we travel....
As for the Starbucks thread I am very enthused that Howard Schultz came back to run the company and closed so many locations and cut the offerings way back. They lead my industry and i hope some higher quality coffee comes from his return as Chief.

Hi roaster, and welcome Smile

I'm a big fan of Indonesians. I really enjoy that big, earthy flavor much more than say, a South American that's bright and tangy. That said, I love coffee and can appreciate any bean that's well roasted and brewed correctly. I'd be very interested to read more about the beans and processes you're currently working with as well as what crops/regions you've skipped as the seasons pass.

I also hope that with Howard back, SBUX will return to it's "Third Place" roots, even though I know that drive thrus are here to stay and La Marzoccos are gone forever. As Long as Sanani and Arabian Mocca Java come back as seasonals, I'll compromise on the other bits Wink

"I will quietly resist."