Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
Best Coffees??
07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
RE: Best Coffees??
Howdy roaster...aside from coffee, what's yer poison?

I love coffee. Can't start my day without it. But, a connoisseur, I am not. Guilty of defaulting to "OTC" brands. Ditto on bastardizing my brew w/creamer 'n' sweetner (much to hubby's chagrin). There was a time when we fiddled w/beans, grinders and exotic flavors, but once life got in the way our experimentation fell by the wayside. Plus, it's gotten so gosh-durn expensive!

Oh, and I'm prolly the last person standing who's NEVER EVER FOREVER NEVER set foot in a "SBUX."

Sooooo, for us coffee nitwits, what would you gurus suggest as a happy medium (time/cost/availability/consistency-wise)?

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-07-2011, 11:51 PM
Columbian is pretty medium in all of those. Use the whole beans that you grind in the store (or get a grinder and do it at home), not a canned one. I add some Kona beans to mine and that makes a nice blend. Smile

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
07-08-2011, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2011 02:03 AM by SpaceCadet.)
This is a little off-the-wall, but: if you like coffee, if you miss the snows of winter, and if you're not averse to a little sappy-melodramatic soap-opera action, I highly recommend the 11-part Japanese drama "Yasashii Jikan" ("Gentle Time.")

It's about the relationship between an estranged father and son in rural Hokkaido - very slow paced, but the story's sense of tranquility grows on you in a big way ('did for me anyway,) and the coffee bar that's the main set in the series is a real place in Furano-town. I've never been but hope to get there some time. The scenes of people sipping coffee at the bar, with that snow-covered hillside beyond the massive picture window, are just unforgettable...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-08-2011, 06:58 AM
(07-07-2011 10:14 PM)burma.girl Wrote:  Howdy roaster...aside from coffee, what's yer poison?

I love coffee. Can't start my day without it. But, a connoisseur, I am not. Guilty of defaulting to "OTC" brands. Ditto on bastardizing my brew w/creamer 'n' sweetner (much to hubby's chagrin). There was a time when we fiddled w/beans, grinders and exotic flavors, but once life got in the way our experimentation fell by the wayside. Plus, it's gotten so gosh-durn expensive!

Oh, and I'm prolly the last person standing who's NEVER EVER FOREVER NEVER set foot in a "SBUX."

Sooooo, for us coffee nitwits, what would you gurus suggest as a happy medium (time/cost/availability/consistency-wise)?

Coffee IS my poison.
As for a suggestion, like I said, this year the Brazilian is an awesome crop...(insert sound effect of a slurp here) and the Colombian is cupping nicely. I get a Supremo from Bucamaranga Estate every year and this year its cupping really well. Mainly, its peoples tastes. Some folks just LIKE Dunkin Donuts coffee (Their Roastmaster is Spencer Turer, he's a great guy) and some people will drink the same origin no matter what or how much it varies. I have no issues with folks who add accoutrement to their beverage.
I think its pretentious of me to tell someone else HOW to enjoy a beverage. I drink coffee black, but its something I have to do. I have clients who like to discern the different sugars or sweeteners and creams vs half and halfs....it can be a whole plethora of taste.
PM me for some recommendations "I" may have. I won't be putting them up on the board(against the rules)

The answer is....is....42
07-21-2011, 10:54 AM
I'm a coffee lover too. Real (caffeine) coffee that is. Gotta have my big cup in the morning. I'll drink just about any, but prefer regular over flavored. Favorite coffee quote from my beloved Uncle Delbert in FLA - actually his cousin Cheryl, "There's no such thing as strong coffee, just weak people."

Shifting & Drifting
07-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Recently went on a ten day tour of Italy, we travelled from Rome to Venice. Good Lord the coffee there is incredible. Not a to go cup in the land, all drink is ordered up and swallowed quickly. I believe that this drinking from a china cup is part of the magic.
07-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Official Coffee Junkie here...I've been known to grow my own, but since one tree doesn't produce a lot of cherries at once, I try to get my beans (I prefer Arabian, myself) from what was my local shop, Misha's, in Old Alexandria. Of course, right now, I'm deployed to Afghanistan and I'm stuck with whatever is handy. (Bleah!)

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
07-22-2011, 08:03 AM
(07-22-2011 06:56 AM)Nanobabe Wrote:  Official Coffee Junkie here...I've been known to grow my own, but since one tree doesn't produce a lot of cherries at once, I try to get my beans (I prefer Arabian, myself) from what was my local shop, Misha's, in Old Alexandria. Of course, right now, I'm deployed to Afghanistan and I'm stuck with whatever is handy. (Bleah!)

Get me your drop box info and we can get you some fine sealed green coffee that you can roast over there. Happy to send a pound of roasted too so you have something to drink while roasting.
Thanks for serving.

07-23-2011, 05:07 AM
I appreciate the offers; unfortunately, shipping takes over two weeks, in absurdly high temperatures; good coffee would be ruined by the time it got here (roaster, those green beans might roast all by themselves!) We actually get a lot of coffee here from various care packages, but since we don't have running water, the pot never gets washed...plus we have folks who believe that the proper amount of coffee grounds for a pot is to fill the filter... 0.0

Basically, there's just no place like home.

"Washington is a city of Southern efficiency and Northern charm." - JFK
07-23-2011, 09:25 PM
(07-23-2011 05:07 AM)Nanobabe Wrote:  I appreciate the offers; unfortunately, shipping takes over two weeks, in absurdly high temperatures; good coffee would be ruined by the time it got here (roaster, those green beans might roast all by themselves!) We actually get a lot of coffee here from various care packages, but since we don't have running water, the pot never gets washed...plus we have folks who believe that the proper amount of coffee grounds for a pot is to fill the filter... 0.0

Basically, there's just no place like home.

Shoot me an email (In my profile). I have sent green and roasted coffee to both of the major forward theaters our armed services have, as well as bottled water, which is a surprisingly well hidden fact from the press . So drop me a line. I am willing to take the risk if you're willing to get the package.

If that doesn't work, we'll drop Brutus out of a C-130 with a parachute and a 1200GS and a thermos of fresh brewed coffee... I can see the letters from Bubba now....