Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Tanks, Planes, Boats, Military Stuff
07-05-2011, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2011 12:09 PM by NWoBHM.)
Tanks, Planes, Boats, Military Stuff
I thought I would give this a go.

On more than a few occasions we at the Bar `n` Grill have had, (well for me anyhow) some interesting conversations about military stuff, especially WW2 subs, planes, boats etc, (Rey re-inacts them out using the real gear), and incidentally how I started PM`ing him about Sherman Tanks ages ago.

So I thought I would see how this goes, as it is a subject I am very interested in.......

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2011, 12:15 PM
RE: Tanks, Planes, Boats, Military Stuff
My wife HATES the Military Channel almost as much as I despise any of the Lifetime offerings. As soon as I see a "Top 10..." of anything, I'm sucked in for good. I also can't resist a good CGI Tank Battle or Dogfight reenactment from that channel, too.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
Find all posts by this user
07-05-2011, 12:24 PM
Well thinking of WW2 planes for now my favourite fighters would be -
Spitfire, Mustang, Messerschmitt 109, FW 190. I quite lliked the US Pacific stuff like Hellcats, and Corsair`s too. Loved the Mosquito.

Favourite bombers, Lancaster, Flying Fortress, (didn`t like any German bombers, and for no other reason that they looked pretty ugly).

More modern stuff Jets like Sabre Jets, F14`s, Harrier`s and Tornado`s

07-05-2011, 12:32 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2011 12:51 PM by Rey.)
Well I was first introduced to WWII reenacting after attending a demonstration at a park in my county. They were having a small battle for the crowd, all dressed in period uniforms, shooting real period weapons (blanks of course but sound the same). I thought that was a pretty impressive display overall. Then I heard this rumbling sound, and cresting the nearby hill was a...Tiger tank. All I could think was, Woh! It came over the hill, stopped, and then the turret slowly started to rotate, and I'm thinking, are they going to shoot that thing? And then, "BOOM!", yes they did fire it, and the sound could be felt and made my hair move. Very impressive.

It was not a real Tiger tank, as they are very rare, but a replica. But it is THE actual Tiger tank used in the movie, "Saving Private Ryan", these guys bought it from the movie company.

That was it, they had me hooked. I have since joined the organization and am a reenactor myself. I last saw the Tiger at an event two years ago, not sure where it is going to appear again. Here is a clip of the tank from that last event (not my video):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7gq-7HXR3U
07-05-2011, 12:37 PM
I've been playing World of Tanks on my PC lately. Lots of fun with lots of neat historical vessels.
07-05-2011, 12:40 PM
Talking of Private Ryan and Tiger Tanks - this was on TV the other day over here, and you realise that one of those tanks, with its "outriders" of support troops made it an invincible weapon to deal with.

The clip was brilliant ReySmile top stuff

07-05-2011, 01:41 PM
Some of my favorite WWII planes are as follows Spitfire, Mustang B,C,and D models, FW-190 A-4thru 8, Yakovlev 3M, Lavochkin LA-5FN(frontu nado), F6-F Hellcat.

WWII tanks would be the King Tiger, M-4EZ8 Super Sherman, M-26 Pershing, JS-3 Stalin, British Comet.

Modern(from Korea to present) Jets are too many to list but include F-86 Sabre, Mig-15 thru 31, F-14 A-D, BAE Tornado, Mirage 2000, IAI Kfir....

Modern Tanks are M-1 series Abrams, Cheftain-Challenger II, Leopard 2A5 & 6, T-72, T-80. Smile

I'm taking a ride with my best friend...I hope he never lets me down again.
07-05-2011, 03:46 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2011 03:53 PM by Rey.)
(07-05-2011 12:40 PM)NWoBHM Wrote:  Talking of Private Ryan and Tiger Tanks - this was on TV the other day over here, and you realise that one of those tanks, with its "outriders" of support troops made it an invincible weapon to deal with.

The clip was brilliant ReySmile top stuff

For the record, that clip wasn't one I filmed, I was just pointing it out here. I was at that event though, and seeing the Tiger in action was great. It got a little quieter though when firing the gun. When I first saw it they were using black powder to fire it, which provides a great boom and visual effect. But they had a mishap where some went off with the breech inside still open, injuring the operators hand, so since then they have gas fired the gun, a safer option but not as loud of a report.

Here is a video I filmed myself of a Sherman tank at another event:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjcE5qi1qVw

NWo has seen this one, but so the others can see it. Smile

Interesting topic you have posted here NWo. WWII is a big interest of mine and I know I mention the subject a lot around here, and I'm sure some are getting tired of it. But when you are really interested in something it is hard to understand why everyone else would not be interested too, when in reality most would probably just find it mildly interesting. But when you start a thread like this, I cannot resist. Wink

But like Brutus mentioned, there are quite some diverse interests here on the forum.
07-05-2011, 03:56 PM
(07-05-2011 12:15 PM)dheafey Wrote:  My wife HATES the Military Channel almost as much as I despise any of the Lifetime offerings. As soon as I see a "Top 10..." of anything, I'm sucked in for good. I also can't resist a good CGI Tank Battle or Dogfight reenactment from that channel, too.

Hear hear dheafey - same at my abode

Most of us are so caught up in life that we forget to live it.
07-05-2011, 04:01 PM
Does being tanked on a boat qualify as being relevant to this thread....? Wink

Oh you boys n' yer toys..... I better skeeedaddle before the testosterone becomes too thick to breathe....party on, Wayne....Big Grin

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!