Thread Rating:
  • 2 Votes - 4.5 Average
Tanks, Planes, Boats, Military Stuff
07-07-2011, 01:45 AM
RE: Tanks, Planes, Boats, Military Stuff
(07-06-2011 07:15 PM)Mufasa Wrote:  I actually got to caress one of these on the USS Missouri. (Caress of Steel?)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY6nm-6eC...re=related

Manchester United could do with that in goal - mighty impressive.....

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
07-13-2011, 05:32 AM
Saw an intersting programme yesterday about a US (very rich) bloke who had purchased a Spitfire (£2.1m to buy and a further £250K in air worthiness work) from Duxford UK and was having it shipped to the US.

The bloke already has a P51 Mustang, but his heart was set on the Spit.

So it was stripped down, (wings removed, propellor, tail section etc) put in a 40ft freight container and sipped to the US where it was re-assembled.

A UK test pilot flew it ahead of the owner and reported there was a slight roll to the right when the ailerons were neutral, the cure of which was to knock with a soft hammer the trailing edge of the aileron to correct the roll. Bit of black art, but it worked.

Also, reading how pilots who were officers (as opposed to sergeant pilots) were allowed to set their guns to bring the fire power to a point at a certain range, but sergeant pilots were not allowed to do this as they were not officers - how crazy is that?Huh

07-13-2011, 06:03 AM
Yo Tim,

What a great thread! I love this stuff too!

Did you see the recent TLC or Discovery on Flight 19, the avengers lost at see in the Bermuda Triangle? It was pretty cool. They actually dive on five avengers and re-enact the possible sequence of events of the squadron's loss. Still a mystery...

Jones (without the apostrophe Bubba) Beach does an airshow every Memorial Day and in recent years I have seen the B-29, B-17, B-25, P-38 and P-47 flying overhead; especially nice when they cruise at a lower altitude. I would be out in my garden or on the boat (when I had the barge) in Northport Harbor (AKA Cow harbor) and hear a prop motor. You know it's not a Piper Cub or Cesna. It's deeper, guttsier, a low growl....you look up to see one of those birds or a small formation gracefully tracing the sky.
07-13-2011, 06:14 AM
Thanks Vince, It was Airfix kits which got me going on this stuff and I never grew out of it. I remember the start of the Summer holidays and looking forward to building a 1:24th (the big ones) Messerschmit or Hurricane, or Spit, (I built all of them over time), and thats how I spent my summers, reading, walking, airfix kits, until later music was my main thing of course.

I occasionally wonder whether I might give flying another go, ( I had about 13 hours on Cesna 152`s, and was very close to going solo), but will have to see.

07-13-2011, 06:20 AM
We are alike in so many ways British Bro!

I used to go to my grandparents' house in Deer Park. It was a nice community with a local small airport. My grandfather lived aviation. Worked for civilian and defence contractors, the airlines, finally teaching at Aviation High School in Long island City, Queens until retiring.

We built Monogram and Revel. Occasionally I would get my hands on an Airfix kit. They were so fancy (and marked up/taxed significantly beyond my 12 year old budget). I'd stay up all night building models, mostly WWII aircraft, but some jets and modern fighters/bombers. He's 93 now and airplanes are still the thing that light up his face.
07-13-2011, 06:41 AM
Yeah I remember Revel too, was Airfix a UK company then? I can`t remember.

I used to like Hornby trains too, and spending hours trying to find the little mouse on the packaging print, which was the artists trade mark......

Yep very alike mate, growing up was more fun I guess in our day, we had no video, computers, day time TV, so you had to entertain yourself, - I used to go bale hauling in the Summer too, back breaking work as adults expected you to work at their pace and strength, but they also paid you like an adult, and gave you cider, like an adult..........all good.

07-16-2011, 01:16 PM
Funny you guys should mention the model planes. Just last Sunday, we were looking through a rummage shop and I found a little plastic model plane for two dollars, already put together and painted, and very old. It was a Stuka, the dive bomber of the Luftwaffe. It is the same plane that you hear screaming in a dive at the beginning of Pink Floyd's "The Wall".

I have placed it on top of my tall bookshelf, where it looks down menacingly at me when I'm at my desk, as if its ready to dive. Instead, I think it will be a fine collector of dust up there.
Find all posts by this user
07-16-2011, 01:18 PM
I read that Stuka pilots "blacked out" from the G force when pulling out of their dives, and that was a good time therefore to attack.....

07-17-2011, 01:41 AM
If any of y'all ever make it out to northern Utah, there's an outstanding aircraft museum right outside the base where I'm stationed (Hill AFB). Lots of Korean and Vietnam era aircraft and then some (mmm...SR-71, A-10...). Very cool stuff in there!

Love and respect...
Turn up the music and smile!
ASSTA Member
Find all posts by this user
07-17-2011, 03:20 AM
Korea was Sabre Jets wasn`t it? A nice looking plane. I don`t think jet manufacture had moved on to the "one piece" elevators by then, they certianly did with the Phantom, which made it out perform the Migs of the day in Vietnam.