Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Book Discussion Group thread
08-22-2011, 09:08 PM
RE: The Book Discussion Group thread
I think their living situations fit the underlying theme of having the life you want to have, in the manner you want.

No round windows in my future, but some really nice views!

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-22-2011, 09:12 PM
One of the reviwers on the back cover describes the author as writing with his five senses. Did you feel fully engaged as a reader? Where you swept away and dropped in the action?
I did. But then, I've had some similar experiences and I think the novel resonated because it triggered those memories and helped bolster the story.

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-22-2011, 09:25 PM
Hmm, I'll have to think about that one. I'll answer tomorrow.

08-22-2011, 09:31 PM
I'm cutting out to read a bit and then think of more q's with my eyes shut. Thanks for dropping in.

Shifting & Drifting
08-22-2011, 11:06 PM
OK sorry sorry the young'uns were up late, which delayed my usual get ready for tomorrow bathing, coffee-makin', lunch prep blah blah blah....I know you've already signed off, but I'll throw in my two point five cents....

FIRST, can I just say sumpin' 'bout the actual manufacture of said book?! Having worked for a book bindery for a few years, I know books can be produced in different formats at different times, so it's possible the copy you have is not the same. However, our local library carried a paperback ("perfectbound") version that has a "natural" edge, i.e. the book blocks did not go through a final trim process post-binding. In other words, all the pages are varying widths, making it impossible to thumb through the book. GRRRRRR Dodgy (OK, now that I got that off my chest....)

SECOND, and as mentioned before, I've never participated in a book discussion before, so apologies if my comments are.....well, sophomoric, for lack of a better term. And if I jump around a bit, sorry for that, too.

Overall, I liked the story. Schmaltzy = cheesy (in some parts)? OK yeah, I get that. I was actually kind of annoyed that we knew the outcome of this story in the very first sentence. What?! You mean....really?! Now I have to move forward through the remaining 343 pages with this knowledge just flopped out on the table? But perhaps that served to set my nerves on edge, anticipating each piece of the puzzle as to "why?"

I almost wished Cobb's character counter-balanced Mary's a bit more. She was so in-your-face from the get go, whereas he seemed too even-keeled. I felt he could've been more...cynical? Angsty? Skeletons-in-the-closet-ish?" I dunno, I just sensed he was a tad too accommodating.

Chungamunga Girls. I kept reading it as "Chimichanga" Girls, which added a bit of comic relief to the ultimate seriousness of their existence. I actually teared up during the marriage ceremony part of it, sumpin' 'bout the visual of the playfulness, yet effort and sincerity in which it was carried out was meaningful to me.

Speaking of crying, that's what I did pretty much the entire second part of the last chapter. At first I kinda rolled my eyes at the tidiness of it all....anyone who ever mattered in Mary and Cobb's life just happened to be available to say goodbye? Really? But if you KNOW it's time, you can certainly plan for such events. A gift, actually.

OK. Now that I've revealed myself to be a ramblin', weepy dork, I'll stop here. Must ruminate on more serious matters of mortality, Yeti love and knock knock jokes....Smile

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
08-23-2011, 05:40 PM
Let me get a good night sleep so I can post something coherent. I worked last night and it was busy, plus I didn't get much sleep today.
08-24-2011, 05:51 PM
I like the overall story, too. It was a bit schmaltzy, but sometimes an easy read is nice. Takes your mind off of the troubles of the day. I know there are a lot of books that start with the ending but I like waiting to the end to find out what happens. I feel the same way about Cobb as BG does. He seems like a stuffy English or History professor...where are the patches on the elbows? The underlying theme of live your life now and how you want it was great. Wish I could do the same...anyone want a predictable husband?
08-24-2011, 08:22 PM
Maybe I'm being too literal, but it's occured to me that perhaps letting the reader know what happens is the jist of the story. Like Cobb and Mary, now we too know where the story ends and it's up to us to choose to carry on and finish reading their tale, or stop and move on to the next thing. Like she offers him the 'easy' way out at the beginning - he can know and decide it's too much and bail, or live life to the fullest come what may. This foreshadowing didn't bother me, I was interested to know how each would ultimately move forward.

On another note: I just got back from a meet and greet the author event in Concord, MA. Kinda like getting backstage to meet your favorite band (not yet!), we were under a tent, beautiful sunset, with odd circus acts going on around us - all in anticipation for the mid-September release of Erin Morgenstern's debut novel, The Night Circus. There was great food, a chance to hang with the author and get a signed copy of the book and schmooze with fellow readers/booksellers.
A great night.

Shifting & Drifting
08-24-2011, 09:09 PM
When I read the beginning, I thought, o.k., why is she dead, and why is her husband all right with that?
So knowing how it ended, I wanted to know if she had cancer, or if her husband got away with murder, or if it was an accident.
So I didn't mind knowing how it ended, the explanation was quite a story.

08-25-2011, 12:26 PM
I enjoyed the environmental aspect too. Appalled at the natives blowing up their own reefs for fishing. Glad Mary's brother worked so tirelessly to stop that.

Shifting & Drifting