Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Book Discussion Group thread
08-29-2011, 05:24 PM
RE: The Book Discussion Group thread
Group thoughts on another book and time frame? Monthly, quarterly, too busy?? I enjoy this and would continue.

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-29-2011, 07:36 PM
There's a new issue of Bubba's Biik Club available for reading at

http://www.neilpeart.net/book_club/

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
Find all posts by this user
08-29-2011, 08:11 PM
Thanks Brutus. I am in the middle of reading it while trying to work Wink
08-29-2011, 08:36 PM
(08-29-2011 05:24 PM)BrianW Wrote:  Group thoughts on another book and time frame? Monthly, quarterly, too busy?? I enjoy this and would continue.

If you have another suggestion, put it out there, maybe Bubba's pick? I think we would all need a little extra time to read it though, since the fall tends to be a busy time.
If we decided on a book now, would people be ready to discuss it by November? December?

08-29-2011, 08:42 PM
I'd like to join the next discussion and have just finished a book, so the timing is good for me to start a new one! Also, given that we are about to move into September, I'd like to propose reading/discussing a new book each month. This might help keep it simple so anyone can join-in at anytime, knowing that we will discuss each book at the end of the month. So, for example, a new thread could be started with the title "September Book Club - Jane Eyre" with the date of the discussion listed in advance, and anyone who is interested can grab it and read it throughout the month of September. Does that make sense???

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields
08-29-2011, 09:02 PM
I'm game as long as it's not "Moby Dick", "Ulysses" or "Gravity's Rainbow"...

Oh...or Jane Eyre

Sorry

Sacred cows make the best hamburgers.

I bought a doughnut and they gave me a receipt for the doughtnut... I don't need a receipt for the doughnut. I give you money and you give me the doughnut, end of transaction. We don't need to bring ink and paper into this. I can't imagine a scenario that I would have to prove that I bought a doughnut. To some skeptical friend, 'Don't even act like I didn't get that doughnut, I've got the documentation right here... It's in my file at home. ...Under "D".'
08-29-2011, 09:04 PM
I would assume that leaves "War and Peace" out as well. Smile

"... always throw spilt salt over your left shoulder, keep rosemary by your garden gate, plant lavender for luck, and fall in love whenever you can..." Practical Magic
08-29-2011, 09:19 PM
(08-29-2011 08:42 PM)debskis Wrote:  I'd like to join the next discussion and have just finished a book, so the timing is good for me to start a new one! Also, given that we are about to move into September, I'd like to propose reading/discussing a new book each month. This might help keep it simple so anyone can join-in at anytime, knowing that we will discuss each book at the end of the month. So, for example, a new thread could be started with the title "September Book Club - Jane Eyre" with the date of the discussion listed in advance, and anyone who is interested can grab it and read it throughout the month of September. Does that make sense???

I like that idea Deb!
It wouldn't be limited by the speed everyone reads as well, you can chime in at your own pace.
I'd like to join in on the next one too.

"Life ain't like books.
Books got somebody writin' 'em and tryin' to entertain ya.
Life is more like a set of Legos.
Unless you take care of 'em, you lose a few pieces and you end up steppin' on 'em with bare feet.
You gotta take care of your life."
~Laura Moncur
08-29-2011, 09:24 PM
If the book isn't real long I might be able to swing it with my studies. Classes start next week.
08-29-2011, 09:25 PM (This post was last modified: 08-29-2011 09:42 PM by debskis.)
Oh come on! Jane Eyre is not for sissies! Maybe us girls need to start our own version of the Book Club here! ;-)

Seriously though, I'm open to just about any genre, except True Crime...too much of that crap going on in the real world. I read to escape, to expand my little pea-brain, and sometimes, just for fun too!!
I just started a book called On Gold Mountain by Lisa See - here's a cut/paste of the Amazon blurb: Lisa See, daughter of novelist Carolyn See, brings a novelist's skill to this sprawling ancestral history. Books tracing the roots of overseas Chinese writers are not uncommon these days, but See uncovered in her family tree a capsule history of the Sino-American diaspora: her great-grandfather, Fong See, founded a California business, married a Caucasian woman and fathered many offspring, and returned periodically to China to redistribute some of his wealth and launch another family. See, a Publishers Weekly writer, has conducted extensive interviews and drawn on family lore for an enthralling saga of ambition, prejudice, love, loyalty, and sorrow--social history at its best.

Just a suggestion...Bubba's latest sounds interesting too!

"I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food."
W. C. Fields