Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
The Book Discussion Group thread
08-29-2011, 10:31 PM
RE: The Book Discussion Group thread
(08-29-2011 05:24 PM)BrianW Wrote:  Group thoughts on another book and time frame? Monthly, quarterly, too busy?? I enjoy this and would continue.

I've enjoyed this too, even if my attempt to participate was lame. Wanted to expound a bit more on Monninger, but found myself holding back because....well, I've never engaged in a book discussion before! However, I feel this forum provides relevant space for such endeavors...

Ditto on Debskis' thoughts, create a forum [Admins, you listenin'?!] for book discussions, then within that forum create threads for individual books. I think a monthly discussion is doable, provided said book is NOT Moby, Ulysses, Bhagavad Gita, etc.

And perhaps Bubba's recent Book Club contribution could serve as impetus for the next selection? I'd vote for that.....

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2011, 08:04 AM
I'm glad there's interest.
Thanks Brutus, I did just read the latest update on Bubbas' book club. I can still remember sitting in the living room one high school summer reading "Atlas Shrugged" (per 2112) and my dad walked by asking 'Is that book for school?" to which I replied no, it's for fun! He walked on scratching his head.
I am game for reading most anything too, including the Huxley. Here at the store we distribute quarterly Indie reads fliers for book groups which you can see on-line indiebound.org and pick a winner. No Fall flier yet, but lots of great books on the summer list. Border Songs by Jim Lynch was great. We can discuss the benefits of medical marijuana! Just sayin'...

Shifting & Drifting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-16-2011, 03:09 PM
Any interest in continuing the 'new' group?
I can make a list of suggestions. Understood if we're too busy; just started a photography class myself. (You're all forewarned!)

Shifting & Drifting
09-16-2011, 06:32 PM
I'm game...need an excuse to exercise my brain.......

Blah blah blah....yada yada yada!
09-16-2011, 10:28 PM
When I come up for air, yes, I'm still game!

09-19-2011, 07:18 AM (This post was last modified: 09-19-2011 07:19 AM by BrianW.)
That's great news. I know we're all busy this time of year. I can look over new 'popular' releases that hopefully should be on your local bookstore shelves and we can pick a winner. Perhaps nonfiction this time?
(09-16-2011 10:28 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  When I come up for air, yes, I'm still game!
School and home going smoothly I hope?

Shifting & Drifting
09-20-2011, 02:55 PM
(09-19-2011 07:18 AM)BrianW Wrote:  That's great news. I know we're all busy this time of year. I can look over new 'popular' releases that hopefully should be on your local bookstore shelves and we can pick a winner. Perhaps nonfiction this time?
(09-16-2011 10:28 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  When I come up for air, yes, I'm still game!

School, is school.
Home....is a headache, that should go away in about 4 days when I get moved into it, and don't have to worry about the apartment too.

09-20-2011, 02:55 PM
(09-20-2011 02:55 PM)nettiesaur Wrote:  
(09-19-2011 07:18 AM)BrianW Wrote:  That's great news. I know we're all busy this time of year. I can look over new 'popular' releases that hopefully should be on your local bookstore shelves and we can pick a winner. Perhaps nonfiction this time?

School, is school.
Home....is a headache, that should go away in about 4 days when I get moved into it, and don't have to worry about the apartment too.

oh, and nonfiction? I like biographical stuff.

09-20-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm hoping things smooth out for you.
Ironically, I just got an ARC of Monninger's next book today. Looks similar. Will start generating a list of possibilities.

Shifting & Drifting
09-20-2011, 08:41 PM

School, is school.

oh, and nonfiction? I like biographical stuff.

I'll vote for biographical and autobiographical too!

A party without cake is really just a meeting