Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Giving to charity: How do you decide?
08-30-2011, 10:53 AM
RE: Giving to charity: How do you decide?
For the most part, we don't give monetary donations anymore. The exceptions are the occasional tithe at my wife's church and a few dollars here and there to school fundraisers. There is a charitable run I do for a relative's foundation whom passed away from cancer. But, I don't do it for support of cancer as it's more for the family than anything else. Oh, I do have to admit to throwing a couple of dollars to the Salvation Army ringers, Fire Dept fund raiser or Veteran's fund raisers (Buddy poppies) as I'm walking past.

We donated to large fundraisers such as AMVets or Firefighter's Association. But, they have such high administrative costs, as well as being professional fundraisers that we stopped doing it a few years back. We can't get off their mailing and phone lists even when requested.

As of late, we've been giving away a lot of material objects to the local charitable organization similar to Goodwill/Salvation Army/etc. We had a number of houses merge together on us over the past couple of years due to family moves, etc. So, we've been going through everything that is in the home. Repair or clean up what we can to donate and put it in a pile for the trip to charity. We had already started paring down our belongings when we acquired all of this. So, it's just taking longer than anticipated. Wink

We prefer to keep our donations local as much as possible as it tends to have the greatest immediate impact with the lowest administrative overheard (or, at least we think so).
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-30-2011, 11:19 AM
I have given quite a generous monthly donation by direct debit for years to NSPCC (National Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children) and Cancer Research. Outside of the direct debits I do give to RNLI (Royal National Lifeboat Institution), and other charities which catch my attention, (the Miners is an example).

The NSPCC was after Belle was born and I saw an horrific advert of a poor girl who had been beaten by her parents - I reached for the `phone and gave there and then, and have done so ever since.

Living the dream over here in Blighty
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-30-2011, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-30-2011 12:59 PM by dheafey.)
We used to give to many veterans charities but like many, found their administrative costs shaved off an inordinate amount of the funds. Lately, I only give to charities that have personal meaning to my family and me.

Mostly, I give the gift of time or talent. I believe that if you have a certain skill that can help better the human condition, why not? That being said, I've donated my time and equipment, as a sound engineer, to our local drama club. In addition, my 2 bands do a minimum of 6-9 fundraisers a year for local causes (sports teams, charity organizations). We NEVER refuse a request related to those serving in the military, especially overseas. Never.

I jumped the cliff with a dream to fly
Without knowing the weight of feathers
08-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Good for you, dheafy! That's so generous of you and your band. Not only is it raising funds, you're getting a dress rehearsal for your next paying gig. Wink

Back when I danced with a hula halau, we used to do shows for the local hospices/nursing homes. They were always so appreciative, even of a clumsy haole cow like me. It was always a wonderful experience.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
09-02-2011, 04:44 PM
I too prefer to support local causes, and especially organisations that don't administrate all the money away. I don't like giving to the big organisations that spend millions on "making-you-feel-bad-with-a-sad-child-picture" campaigns.... One of my favourites is something called "the cats defence" who work to give street cats a home and get people to neuter their cats. They are local, and the people all work for free, so whatever money they get goes towards helping the cats. I also donate some times when there has been disasters, like the earthquake in Japan (I donated to the people trying to rescue all the pets that had been left behind)

~Old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it~
09-03-2011, 06:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-03-2011 10:08 AM by NWoBHM.)
Quote:The NSPCC was after Belle was born and I saw an horrific advert of a poor girl who had been beaten by her parents - I reached for the `phone and gave there and then, and have done so ever since.

Quote:I don't like giving to the big organisations that spend millions on "making-you-feel-bad-with-a-sad-child-picture" campaigns.

Well that has put me in my place.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Living the dream over here in Blighty
09-03-2011, 07:20 PM
(09-02-2011 04:44 PM)NamoNamo Wrote:  I also donate some times when there has been disasters, like the earthquake in Japan...

Oyeah, I'd forgotten all about that one. I've become a bit of a Japanophile in any case, the tsunami videos were horrific, and it was a disaster of entirely natural origin. I donated directly, via the Japan Red Cross Society. The Japanese, for whatever reason, have retained much of what a lot of the major Western nations, America included, have discarded, most prominent among them being self-responsibility and personal honor:
Honest Japanese Return $78 Million in Cash Found in Quake Rubble

日本大好き
Shy