Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
Monica's Thread
09-23-2011, 07:37 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2011 07:38 PM by Scythe Matters.)
Heart Monica's Thread
A place to leave words, pictures, poems, quotes.... To help Monica - and Steve! - in this difficult time.

This is a favorite of mine:

On Joy and Sorrow
from "The Prophet"
by Kahlil Gibran

Then a woman said, Speak to us of Joy and Sorrow
And he answered:

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was often times filled with your tears.

And how else can it be?

The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes you spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?

When you are joyous,
look deep into your heart and you shall find
it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful
look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth,
you are weeping for that which has been your delight.

Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits alone with you at you board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.

Verily you are suspended like scales between you sorrow and your joy.
Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weight his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

... in a world where I feel so small I can't stop thinking big!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-23-2011, 08:26 PM
RE: Monica's Thread
It's times like this where my mind goes totally blank and I can't remember any poems or inspiring words, but Monica & Stephen, know that you both are constantly in my thoughts and prayers Smile

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-23-2011, 08:32 PM (This post was last modified: 09-23-2011 08:44 PM by RN-PRN.)
Just know that everyone here at the Bar'n'Grill are with you both in everything that you do..
09-23-2011, 09:16 PM
I can't think of anything witty or eloquent to say either. But I'm thinking of you folks and sending warm and positive thoughts your way!!

Intolerant of Intolerance.
09-25-2011, 02:27 AM (This post was last modified: 09-25-2011 02:29 AM by Scythe Matters.)
Another poet I love is Rumi. He was a Sufi mystic who lived in the 13th century, he founded the Whirling Dervishes.

[Image: rumi_poem.jpg]

Quote:This we have now
is not imagination.

This is not
grief or joy.

Not a judging state,
or an elation,
or sadness.

Those come and go.
This is the presence that doesn't.

[Image: sunset3.jpg]

^ A sunset in Hawai'i ^. Yes, they are all this lovely Smile

09-25-2011, 05:18 PM
Monica and Steve-
I have no words after being gone a week and coming back to hear what's been happening. I'll post some things after I get my head wrapped around all this. In the meantime, my thoughts and prayers are with you constantly Heart

If I'd known you were French, I'd have worn galoshes...
09-25-2011, 09:33 PM
Thank you everybody for participating in this thread - you are all so thoughtful. I wish I could say more, but just don't have the time to put everything into words right now. We are having a very bad day today (Monica is very sick) and I am getting very worried, but please keep the messages coming. They help immensely.

Thank You:
Stephen
09-26-2011, 05:05 AM
My other favorite place (besides the Big Island) is Disneyland. My first time was at 3 months - I was born nearby - and I've gone more times than I can count. The Park is enclosed by a berm and, IMO, that helps to hold the feelings of joy and happiness inside. Every time I've had difficulty in my life, a visit to Disneyland helps me feel better. I know some people dislike it because of the crowds or the "goody-two-shoes" atmosphere they perceive. But I don't see that and I can get past the crowds to see what Walt saw and it IS a Magic Kingdom for me.

[Image: December09076.jpg]

[Image: December09077.jpg]

[Image: December09080.jpg]

[Image: December09087.jpg]

These were taken on a winter night, after a day of rain. I wish I could convey the warm, misty air tinged with delicious smells: it felt like I was being caressed by the Spirit of the Park. We were nearly alone, just before closing time. That's when I love it best, as the day ends, gratefully tired, peaceful and full of happiness. I can't wait to go again..... it renews my spirit and fills my magic place.

May the happiness I try to convey with words and pictures touch you, however briefly. Heart

09-26-2011, 07:33 AM
(09-25-2011 09:33 PM)onebad70ss Wrote:  Thank you everybody for participating in this thread - you are all so thoughtful. I wish I could say more, but just don't have the time to put everything into words right now. We are having a very bad day today (Monica is very sick) and I am getting very worried, but please keep the messages coming. They help immensely.

Thank You:
Stephen

Stephen, sending you and Monica BIG HUGS! I'm sorry to hear Monica is struggling so much! I really hope she feels better soon, for both of your sakes. I know this is a really tough time for both of you, and I wish I had some words of wisdom or wit to make you both feel better. Unfortunately, I can't think of any. I just hope you and Monica know everyone here is sending you two lots of positive thoughts and mental hugs. You are in my thoughts every day and I really hope Monica's health improves very quickly!!!

Intolerant of Intolerance.
09-26-2011, 09:11 AM
I hope that today is a better day for you both! Virtual hugs to you both!!

A party without cake is really just a meeting
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user